A-EftP - Avernum and Steam

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
We hope that Steam chooses to accept Avernum, and we think they will. If they do, it will be released on the platform most likely some time in April (though the exact date, once we gets builds to them, is up to them).

- Jeff Vogel

—Alorael, who thinks that implies Steam's reluctance to have Mac-only games, or maybe just Jeff's reluctance to give a Mac-only first release on Steam. In any case, there will be a while to wait.

Originally Posted By: Signaling Pathways into Darkness
But it doesn't support Steamplay. I expect Avernum to be the same.

—Alorael, who would love Steamplay; it's one of the few real, constant benefits of Steam. He just won't expect it.

If I look in the Steam store, I see Steamplay next to Avadon. Doesn't that mean that I can pay once and play in both Mac and Windows?

Whoops, I'm confusing Steamplay with Steamworks. Avernum will have Steamplay. It won't have Steamworks, and you won't be able to easily play one save on multiple computers without transferring it yourself.

—Alorael, who supposes Steamplay is also nice. It's just also something you get with any Spiderweb purchase.

Originally Posted By: gone forever until tomorrow
Whoops, I'm confusing Steamplay with Steamworks. Avernum will have Steamplay. It won't have Steamworks, and you won't be able to easily play one save on multiple computers without transferring it yourself.

—Alorael, who supposes Steamplay is also nice. It's just also something you get with any Spiderweb purchase.

Yeah, I didn't think Avadon did, but I wasn't able to get Steam open to check. Does that mean that if I buy the Mac version of Avernum directly from Spiderweb, I'll also get a Windows copy? It's something I've been wondering about, but I'll probably end up waiting for the Steam version anyway. *likes to keep his games in one place*

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but is it possible that Spiderweb might issue Steam keys to early buyers if/when the game makes it to Steam?

I've known of publishers doing that in the past, and have always appreciated it. Sort of the best of both worlds in that you can play the game now as an early adopter, and add it to your Steam library at a later date.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I believe Jeff said that he doesn't get unlimited free keys from Steam*, so there is no way he could provide them for everyone that purchases directly from Spiderweb.

*He may have been talking about the MAS, or both.
He was talking about Steam, but I imagine it applies to the Mac App Store as well.

Originally Posted By: blackwight
Here's an idea (I hope Jeff Vogel sees): Just put the first version to Steam, sell the rest directly via a link (if permitted) in the app.

EA tried something like this when they were first launching their own digital distribution service, and it led to a huge and very public fight between EA and Steam. If Valve didn't let EA get away with it, they won't let Spiderweb get away with it either.

Keep in mind that Steam also provides advertising and publicity to games offered on the service: sure, they take like 20-30% of revenue (exact figures are closely guarded), but having your game on Steam has the potential to increase sales by a lot more than that.