Apple might sandbox apps

Earth

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Yep, it sure would.

In fact, the security systems present in Snow Leopard (which I'm still using) are already enough to cause annoyance in some cases. For instance, Apple made iTunes really ugly (uglier, anyway). I can fix it by replacing the icon and various graphics resources, but if I do, its checksum no longer matches, and every time I run it I get pestered about whether I really want to trust it with access to the network.

As a person who writes his own programs every day (many are trivial, one-shot test programs, but some are for other people to use too) I'm deeply suspicious of all of this App[lication] Store, code signing, and sandboxing stuff. I do appreciate that the security benefits are important, but this is my computer and it will run the software I say it should run. If Apple really does someday lock down Mac OS as much as, say, present-day iOS, I'll switch to something else, even though it will likely be at the cost of having what I consider a usable GUI.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
In fact, the security systems present in Snow Leopard (which I'm still using) are already enough to cause annoyance in some cases. For instance, Apple made iTunes really ugly (uglier, anyway). I can fix it by replacing the icon and various graphics resources, but if I do, its checksum no longer matches, and every time I run it I get pestered about whether I really want to trust it with access to the network.
For what it's worth, that will only happen if the Apple firewall is turned on, and it is turned off by default. As to how this affects game modding, I don't see how it does. Modding a game involves editing the game's files themselves, which means the sandboxing wouldn't matter in the slightest.