Monk Character

Death Knight

I am thinking of making a monk character in either of the avernum games. After thouykidides info on A1-2, I am thinking of making a 4 man party in which 1 char includes a monk. I am asking besides Avernum 1-3 (BOA) and A4-6, what would be a good game to utilize a monk character?

Initially i thought A1-3, but then i remembered that in avernum 5-6, you get quick action, battle disciplines, and other benefits. Has anyone tried a monk in any of spiderwebs games. I would try in geneforge, but i doubt that would work as you are the only char. I think in all of the games fists are 1-3 damage.

Any thoughts on the monk class?

Avernum 1 and 2 will be tough to try this. The problem with going with avernum 3 and boa is that i dont know how fists are done with strength and everything else with dies.

Still BOA has one advantage that avernum 4,5, and 6 dont have-more skill points per level, plus less costly melee weapons to reach anatomy.

Because of this, i am still unsure whether a5 or boa would work better with fists. I will need to find out a bit more.

I forget which of the original trilogy had this -- perhaps all of them -- but damage with fists isn't capped, while damage with other weapons is. So by the endgame you could potentially do more damage with fists than with other weapons.

When I played Avernum 1, after killing Hawthorne, I left all my equipment at the Castle and went through the final gauntlet again to the surface. I can't remember how much I relied on melee and how much I relied on spells, but I was able to deal a non-negligible amount of melee damage to the spawned enemies.

I don't think a low-level monk would work, though. A BoA scenario could fake it with a "bare fists" weapon, though. But then it's just another melee fighter with additional flavour.

It might actually work better with the exile trilogy and boe. The reason is Fists actually work with assassination in the original trilogy, which is a major plus. That and fists can be buffed up through strength and dex. Even though you will max out at 20 quickly, you will get extra points to make him even stronger.

That is, if i am correct and assassination works with fists.

Fists were noted to exceed the damage cap in A3, where it's quite easy to hit the cap, but that was the case in A1 and probably A2 as well. Since Blades shares A3's engine, mostly, it's likely that the caps are still off there.

—Alorael, who wouldn't try with A5 or A6. Battle disciplines mean you have to put points in more skills you won't be using to get disciplines, meaning you'll fall behind faster compared to weapons users.