Drugs of Spiderweb games, Canisters, Scarabs, and more

AethirWeb

just a philosophical question or rather and immature comparison. I have noticed in GeneForge when you like, break over eight canisters you'll have an anger problem. For example e.g. Let say you broke three canisters, someone tells you to kill a drakon within ten minutes of the invasion. You'll get a little annoyed. Now reload the game and before you do that break everything canister you can find. The response will probably Be "BASTARD YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, I'LL TAKE ALL THE TIME I WANT"

Is this like a reference to Steroids? The more you eat the stronger you are, but the more anger prone you become. Cause it seems like a obvious comparison to me.

So what about Scarabs? What would those be? Is there something drug-like in Avernum? Are there really drug references in Spiderweb Games... Cause if so then later on Jeff might add "Magical Mana Dust" called eniacoc.

Scarabs are probably a reference to

Addictive substances are pretty common in fantasy; quite often it's magic itself that's addictive. In role playing games, there's often mechanics that give you a bonus in one area, but balanced with a penalty from another. Think Barbarian Rage in D&D, or Stamina costs in AIMHack. And hey, if it's a consumable that gives you the bonuses and penalties, why not make it a drug?

EDIT: Diki, you're facing the wrong direction.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
EDIT: Diki, you're facing the wrong direction.

Dikiyoba is just giving you a death glare. I believe that is an invitation to a duel, but I cannot say so certainly.

Aside from the scarabs, skribbane, canisters, and of course woad from Nethergate, I think we are forgetting the most common drug in ALL of Jeff's games: alcohol. From mushroom ale in Avernum to Alwan's stock of intoxicating liqueurs, from the goblets and bottles found with Redbeard and the Castle Vebeaux to the hearty Celtic brews from Nethergate, that stuff is pervasive. I think a certain industry owes Jeff some money for advertising!