Hard or torment for first game?

kryft

I know psychologically it can be hard to downgrade your difficulty mid-game once you've picked one. I think you'll be pretty safe at least on Hard, though. I was a newbie as well about a year ago and played Avernum 1 & 2 on Hard without too much trouble, and by all accounts those were tougher than Avadon.

The main differences between difficulty levels in Avadon:

* Enemies on higher difficulties have a higher chance to hit and do a lot more damage. It's difficult to build a character that can reliably dodge enemy attacks on Torment, although for most of the game it's possible.

* Hard difficulty gives some bosses an extra action per round in combat: this extra action takes place regardless of status effects like slow or stunning. Torment difficulty gives most bosses and some elite enemies an extra action. Some enemies also have powerful special attacks that they only use on higher difficulties.

Unlike in previous games, difficulty level doesn't have a dramatic effect on enemies' health, so battles aren't much longer on higher difficulties, just more lethal. If you want a challenge, try Torment and feel free to tone down the difficulty if you get frustrated.