Geneforge 3: Worth Playing, Or Skip?

Now, I've heard on this forum elsewhere that Geneforge 3 is looked at like Avernum 4 was by a lot of the fandom. I'm in the process of playing through the Geneforge games now, and while I'm not quite to 3 yet...the way people keep talking about it makes me want to ask if I should skip it, or play it anyway.

G3 was actually the first Spiderweb game I ever got to have the full game of and thus the first one I played all the way through. I enjoyed it. I agree that in some respects it's a step down from G1 and G3, but it also some neat characters (e.g. Khyryk is cool!) and some neat zones / scenarios (e.g. advancing with the Shaper army against rebel positions is something unlike anything in G1 / G2). Dikiyoba speaks wisdom, though - try the demo. G3 is definitely fun.

Keep in mind, when people complain about G3, they are complaining relative to the quality of the other games produced in the series. It's actually quite a good game, annoying quirks aside, but the main reason people don't like it is simply because it falls short when compared to the first two games in the series.

It's the same problem that Dragon Age 2 ran into- a decent game that had the misfortune to be a direct sequel to a fantastic game, and was subsequently judged more on its failure to measure up to its predecessor than its merits.

• 4 weeks later...

If your story wise then stick with geneforge3 or if your chronological or whatever go for it. If you decide to skip it I'll try to tell the story as remember it. You attend shaper college, shaper owns the school, you go to shaper council and help em defeat rebels in cold frosty islands in north. Or help rebels kick shaper butt. Alwan a guardian in your group goes to become a famous general (But then you as a rebel in G4, own him and he turns into Steven Hawkings), This agent also in your group becomes a rebel general and lives.