Casey Anthony Trial Decision

Arch-Mage Solberg

I know that she wasn't found innocent just not guilty, but I have kinda been following this case for the past 3 years and (just from what I heard on the news) I thought that the prosecution had a very strong case. Now I'm hearing that they really didn't have a strong enough case.

What are your thoughts on this?

Post #569 cool

Was this the one abut the student in Italy who supposedly killed her roommate? IIRC, the case against her was basically "she was acting strangely an suspiciously the day of the murder and didn't have a solid alibi", but she lacked any sort of means or motive. I didn't follow it too closely. Court cases should be decided by jury and judge, not by media or popular opinion, so I tend not to buy into legal sensationalism.

This case was an issue of principle.

Did she do it? Yeah, most certainly. The circumstantial evidence is incredibly damning.

The problem is that that's it. And since it's so easy to create suspicious circumstances, we CAN'T convict based on circumstantial evidence. Otherwise, the government (or other powerful organizations) would have the means to easily frame problematic persons and thus use the judicidal system to lock them up unjustly.

I think that there are way too many distractions in american society, this being one. If its not charlie sheen acting like an idiot, its someone else making a problem. There are serious ones though. If they have the evidence then justice will be served. I dont see why its taking so long.

I followed the van dersloot case completely as i really found him to be an evil piece of garbage that thought he was tough stuff. He got his though, thankgod. With the casey trial, its really hard to say. She probably did it, but there is always reasonable doubt, at least with her.

Just wait, when this one blows over, some bigger jerk will come out and take their place. It never ends, and the media is loving it, meh.

The prosecution really screwed up by dropping the child neglect charges because they didn't want to leave the jury the option of convicting on a lesser charge if they were reluctant to convict on homicide charges. As we can see, this prosecutorial strategy backfired.

That might lead to a harsher justice system, but I don't think it would be more functional or safer, and it certainly wouldn't be simpler.

If you gouge out someone's eye, you get your eye gouged out. Fair enough. But what if they've got one eye and you have two? Their one is worth more to them than one of your two; they're blind, and you've just lost depth perception. Even one of two eyes can have unequal value if one if you is a desk jockey and the other a cab driver. Adjudicating non-vigilante eye-for-eye exchanges is probably worse than just coming up with punishments for various crimes.

—Alorael, who is also pretty sure that he wants perpetrators of assault and battery locked away until they can be safely returned to society, not just assaulted and battered. That's just a recipe for having bruised, angry people cruising for more victims.

Originally Posted By: It's a trap
back in my day if a person killed someone else we went vigilante on his or her ass

People till do this today, in places like tribal Afghanistan. It's called a blood feud, and those are baaaad news.

Luckily, most societies on the world have discovered the social contract, which exists precisely to stop behaviors such as that. It's a really neat invention!