Avadon Bete Noires - What's yours?...

radiojonty

OK here's mine:

function keys not being toggles I(nventory), G(et), etc, yet F(ight) is a toggle... what's with that?

Teleport not working through grilles/windows - unrealistic - of course it would! :-)

quest dead ends or them plateauing due to one quest relying on the other.

The inventory swapping between chars feels clunky and unintuitive - I can't put my finger on it.

Odd/or inconsistent armour preferences for magic users:

Leather and wood seem OK as does steel bracers, but not other metals like bronze.

I thought magic users couldn't use ANY metal armour, and had to use leather based?

Being able to use the big map to make long journeys and to stay open

so you can see the '?' waypoints would be useful.

Some Automap and icon/interface transparency would improve visibility - optional of course.

But it's WAY better than the clunking great one in Avernum VI.

I'll think of more as I encounter them.

I enjoy the game very much, the niggles are minor - be assured.

Originally Posted By: radiojonty
Teleport not working through grilles/windows - unrealistic - of course it would! :-)

This is to prevent you from getting stuck in inaccessible locations that you're not supposed to be able to reach.

Quote:
Odd/or inconsistent armour preferences for magic users:

Leather and wood seem OK as does steel bracers, but not other metals like bronze.
I thought magic users couldn't use ANY metal armour, and had to use leather based?

Spellcasters can use any gauntlets or shields, but are limited in their choices of headwear, body armour, leggings and boots. There's consistency within a single armour type, but not so much between them.

Quote:
Being able to use the big map to make long journeys and to stay open so you can see the '?' waypoints would be useful.

This would be awfully nice.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
the only killer for teleport seems to be the inaccessible treasure across the lava in zethrons aerie.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing:

"Ooh! that teleport scarab will be handy in getting the goodies on the lava islands!"

But no.

I bet they're just decorative, after all that, or a note inside saying "Ha ha! Nothing here but dust and this note!
Love, Zethy."

My pet peeve with Avadon is that on Torment level some of the hostiles appear to blatantly break the rules. For example, some hostiles, including humans, can:

1. Take 2 separate turns for every 1 of yours

2. Launch an ability multiple times without cool-down

3. Repeatedly Haste themselves

4. Use abilities that appear to make them somewhere between level 30 and level 50 (you can either get offense or defense to a reasonable level, not both, so I'm surprised some end-game characters seem to have both sets of spells handy).

4. Attack and defend pretty well even though you don't get armor or potions, scrolls, and wands from most of them. I mean, don't fighters have (sellable) chain and plate armor, or even swords? Don't the archers have bows of some sort?

Originally Posted By: Shadowplay
Attack and defend pretty well even though you don't get armor or potions, scrolls, and wands from most of them. I mean, don't fighters have (sellable) chain and plate armor, or even swords? Don't the archers have bows of some sort?

Well, lets look at this from an IC and an OOC context. IC, most of their gear is going to be pretty trashed after you've beaten them to death, so there is no point in getting it. OOC, do you really want each and every human npc to drop a full set of cotton clothing along with (yet another) (unsellable) dagger?

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: Shadowplay
Attack and defend pretty well even though you don't get armor or potions, scrolls, and wands from most of them. I mean, don't fighters have (sellable) chain and plate armor, or even swords? Don't the archers have bows of some sort?

Well, lets look at this from an IC and an OOC context. IC, most of their gear is going to be pretty trashed after you've beaten them to death, so there is no point in getting it. OOC, do you really want each and every human npc to drop a full set of cotton clothing along with (yet another) (unsellable) dagger?

In Avadon II, there could be an occasional random drop of either usable armour - more common, or armour fit only for scrap that maybe could be sold for a few coins at smiths...maybe?...