Design Consulting

Sudanna

As some of you might already know, I'm currently working on a campaign for AIMhack. I've got the setting worked out pretty well, though I have some concerns over the plot. However, I have no idea how to go about the mechanics - how much health to give enemies, how to do their attacks, etc. I'd like to talk with someone that's had experience GMing for AIMhack about these things, and perhaps about some aspects of the plot as well, if anyone wants to sit through me excessively criticizing myself as only teenagers can do.

You may have my AIM already, but if not, it's atheismsmartyr. Email is the same @yahoo, or you can just PM me about it. I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to take the time.

Speaking as both a player and a DM, few things are more frustrating than separate hit and damage dies. Rolling a 19 and then minimum damage really sucks. If you could implement one suggestion, I'd say it would be integrating the two dies and working the damage out from how much the TH DC was exceeded by- for instance, getting a 15 on a DC of 14 might do 1 damage, while getting a 9 on a 5 DC could mean 4 damage.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Speaking as both a player and a DM, few things are more frustrating than separate hit and damage dies. Rolling a 19 and then minimum damage really sucks. If you could implement one suggestion, I'd say it would be integrating the two dies and working the damage out from how much the TH DC was exceeded by- for instance, getting a 15 on a DC of 14 might do 1 damage, while getting a 9 on a 5 DC could mean 4 damage.

fwiw i already do something like this for attack rolls made by the players: hitting by a margin of 0-4 is 1 point of damage. hitting by 5 or more is 2 points. a nat 20 is 3 points. every stamina point spent bumps the damage up one point.

i don't do it for enemies' attacks b/c the players don't know what i rolled anyway so it's not like there's anything for them to be disappointed by

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dantius

fwiw i already do something like this for attack rolls made by the players: hitting by a margin of 0-4 is 1 point of damage. hitting by 5 or more is 2 points. a nat 20 is 3 points. every stamina point spent bumps the damage up one point.

i don't do it for enemies' attacks b/c the players don't know what i rolled anyway so it's not like there's anything for them to be disappointed by

Furthermore, fewer die rolls make combat go faster, which I like a lot. A simulated fight to the death ought to have some urgency to it. tongue