Efficient Solo: Shadowwalkers.

Zummi

So, how do you do it? Playing on Normal currently with the thread's titlesake. Have putted some points to Dex and pumped up Locksmith to 4 and now stumped from there. I made a save before experimenting with the skills. Currently maxing out the middle path for the amazing passives but I feel I'm doing it wrong.

Also, since this is a new game and I have just finished that silly dragon's problem + sidequests.

Shadowwalkers are almost the easiest to play as a Solo since they can open all locked containers and doors plus they need to increase only dexterity and endurance with a little strenght for armor.

A Sorceress needs to have decent intelligence so she can't raise dexterity as high and has trouble doing the Titan Keep palisades by herself.

A Blademaster is forced to pick which places to open since there aren't enough lockpicks for a no skill character. However for combat he has the same advantages as a Shadowwalker plus the defensive skill of parry for extra damage avoidanace. The only real problem is only physical attacks without items so he needs scarabs and consumeable items.

I never tried a solo Shaman, but she can't open things and takes more damage than most other classes so she has to rely on her pets to help.

The middle path bonuses are very helpful to a Solo since you have longer fights and need those defense bonuses.

I'm pretty sure -- not 100% sure, as it was a while ago, but pretty sure -- I've gotten different results from save-and-reload. However, I had to actually do different things to accomplish this, ie, get experience for the level up in a different way.

However, it's possible I'm bonkers on this point.

Hmm, depending on how pseudorandom seeds are saved and set, that might be the case. I know some games record the current seed when saving, so people can't save-reload until they get the result they want. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case with the early Avernums, at least (I exploited save-reload whenever I broke a lockpick, because I never felt like trudging back to town to buy more).