Know anything about self defense?

Enraged Slith

Can't say I've had to deal with anything like that lately, but as counter-intuitive as it might seem, if you genuinely don't think there's a peaceful way to defuse the situation (that does include handing over your wallet if the danger is disproportionate, but unlikely to occur if you do so) and you don't think you can outrun them, I tended to find that the most effective way of dealing with that kind of situation was to act mentally deranged and throw yourself at them (not literally). For the average mugger - most of who just think that looking threatening and maybe hitting you a couple of times will be all it takes - it's really rather unsettling to have someone turn around and try to beat you down, with seemingly no sense of self-preservation.

Although if it ever comes to violence, however that's happened, it is generally worth bearing in mind that if you don't hurt them enough that they give up and run off, chances are they'll hurt you a whole lot more. Sometimes going at it with no sense of self-preservation is a better idea for your health than showing some restraint.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: madrigan
Knowing how to deal with a dangerous situation includes knowing how to fight.

That is indeed one way of dealing with a dangerous situation, but it is not the only way. There are countless examples throughout the animal kingdom of creatures that survive dangerous situations without fighting. Just look at the possum.

Wait, what? You're using the *possum* as an example of an animal that survives dangerous situations without fighting? Have you ever cornered one? Almost every animal I know of, from an elephant to an ant, will strike back when cornered. Possums are particularly vicious if you upset them.

Defenseless people have been beaten and killed for doing absolutely nothing to antagonise their attackers, so the notion that one should never attack is pretty stupid.

Fighting isn't always the ideal response to a threat, but knowing *how* to fight can't hurt for situations where running/giving the thug your wallet isn't a choice. Note that I said 'fight', not 'do karate'.

A gun would be your best bet, but unfortunately most countries deprive law abiding citizens of the right to bear arms.