G2 (And later Gs too I guess) question about leveling up monsters

dave s

What's the advantage of leveling up monsters instead of creating new ones? If I grow in skill enough to create a level 12 creation, and the one I created a while back is level 11, is there any advantage? I guess the Skill Points, but I haven't had enough essence to pump up stats anyway in my creations.

Maybe my shaper build sucks. I'm level 13 and I'm still having trouble with some fights. Not to mention, I have trouble with creatures like turrets that give me 1 xp. So I'm wasting time fighting monsters that give me nothing in return.

If I remember / understand correctly, in G2-G5 there is no difference a creation leveled-up by experience and one leveled-up by shaping skill when you create it. Higher level is always better, but the way you take to reach the level doesn't matter.

Having trouble with "some" fights is perhaps to be expected. I guess it depends on how many and which ones? What sort of creations are you using? Turrets, I think, are often intended not so much to be defeated as to be gone around; they often crowd sneaking/mechanics/leadership-based areas.

Originally Posted By: dave s
What's the advantage of leveling up monsters instead of creating new ones? If I grow in skill enough to create a level 12 creation, and the one I created a while back is level 11, is there any advantage? I guess the Skill Points, but I haven't had enough essence to pump up stats anyway in my creations.

Maybe my shaper build sucks. I'm level 13 and I'm still having trouble with some fights. Not to mention, I have trouble with creatures like turrets that give me 1 xp. So I'm wasting time fighting monsters that give me nothing in return.

Basically, I try and get every single experience point possible when I play, even if it just means 1 point you are that much closer to the next level. I would say it is worth it to kill everything that you can to get experience.

Also, it is not extremely hard to clear the first 5-6 maps as a Shaper without using any creations at all. The benefit of this is that you don't share any of that experience with your creations and you will level up quicker. The more creations you have active, the more experience you share per kill.

As for leveling up creations. I am very far in my current G2 game and my Shaper is quite strong. I intentionally made my final party very early in the game and I do not plan to add any new creations for the rest of the game. I currently use 1 Thahd, 2 Plated Clawbugs and 1 Dryak. I was and still am able to buff up my creation's Stats with essence points because of how high my Intelligence score is. Needless to say, my creations almost have maximum Strength at this point and they hit things extremely hard and rarely miss. I was able to pump up my INT score because I leveled up my creations instead of putting points into my Fire, Magic and Battle creation skills and then re-creating them at a later time.

See, I could barely get past any maps beyond the first town without at least 2 creations. Even with my artilla and Fyora I was dying regularly. On normal, my shaper was dying in 1 hit from some of the monsters and if more then 2 were on the screen, I was done for. If I waited to clear out an area until I was able, I no longer got any XP from killing anything.

I realize I must be doing it wrong, but not sure how to do it better.

Originally Posted By: dave s
See, I could barely get past any maps beyond the first town without at least 2 creations. Even with my artilla and Fyora I was dying regularly. On normal, my shaper was dying in 1 hit from some of the monsters and if more then 2 were on the screen, I was done for. If I waited to clear out an area until I was able, I no longer got any XP from killing anything.

I realize I must be doing it wrong, but not sure how to do it better.

I wouldn't say you are doing anything completely wrong. If you try to solo the first 5-7 maps as a Shaper you will likely have to reload several times. Thada's hit hard frown

A few tips I would give are to change your fighting style. Try and not charge your enemies and give them the first attacks. When combat begins, especially at low levels, the chances are very good that you or your creations will act first. Assuming you are going solo, try and retreat your Shaper so that the enemy has to chase you and get in your striking range. That way you get the first attack. You are basically bating the enemy to use thier Action Points getting closer to you and then springing your attacks on them.

Remember that, in the beginning levels, your Shaper does good melee damage and hits at a good percentage so I would rarely use Firebolt as the main attack unless you are trying to chase down a weakened enemy who is running away. Besides, Firebolt doesn't do enough damage to kill enemies with 1 shot at your level, whereas your melee attacks can kill Thada's and Fyora's with 1 shot. I mostly use Firebolt to initiate combat with non-ranged enemies so they charge me and I can get the first melee attack after that.

Also, equip the items that give the most armor possible. You will see that many attacks from rats and fyora's simply do no damage at all or very little with enough armor.

Playing this way can be a little frustrating but I have known it to be very rewarding after all is said and done. The added experience at the beginning is very valuable. By the way, I am only really referring to the beginning of Geneforge 2.

Yeah, what tactics are you using?

A shaper needs to buff creations before battles start, stay away from enemies and let the creations do the fighting, offer occasional in-battle support via magic / items / and maybe wands/batons. Make sure to try to avoid taking on groups of enemies: it's much better to try to draw off one or two enemies, swarm them with your creations, and then repeat. I would say you really shouldn't try to do melee with your shaper, at least not right now. Your skill points need to go elsewhere at the beginning.

What creations are you using, and how many? Did you make sure to give them 2 Intelligence so you can control them?

I wouldn't bother with the solo-at-first-and-create-creations-later approach. Because of the way experience diminishes as you level, in the long run it won't make much of a difference. Create the biggest army you can now and make your life easier. Because of the way you can only attack if you have 5 AP left in the earlier Geneforge games, creations with a ranged attack have an advantage over the melee based ones.

I hope this helps.