Avernums - (A4) Dexterity & Wand-use

Tcheedchee

Is there a connection between the dexterity of a char. and it's ability to hit with a wand?

I think I have recognized, that my mage, who doesn't have a lot of dexterity, misses a lot when I let him use wands (e.g. to improve his number of moves in one turn).

Also I'd like to know, if you would confirm my observation that there is a connection between Spell craft and the effectivity of wandwielding.

Passing time till the release of Avadon by playing A4,

Theedchee

There should be no correlation between Dexterity and wands. There might be one between Spellcraft and wands, but there's not supposed to be any connection.

—Alorael, who recalls that the A4 beta had a number of damage and to-hit probabilities calculated based on the wrong things. So he wouldn't be surprised, but he'd also want to see some numbers first.

Oh god. Nociduas. There's something I'd like to forget right there.

Anyway, mental effects have always been mechanically a bit different from regular attacks. It seems possible the terror effect could read the wielder's spell stats regardless of how wands are normally treated. So that still doesn't suggest spellcraft (or Natural Mage) would affect wand damage or hit rate (hit rate being distinct from effect success rate).

Assuming it works the same way as for other attacks (and it should), 26% is the chance to hit. You start with a base chance to hit determined by the attack -- this is 50% for most physical attacks and 100% for most spells -- add the attacker's hit bonus (not sure what would apply for wands) and subtract the defender's evasion bonus (this seems to be across the board, so same as usual: Dex and Defense bonuses and the like).

If it does list the chance to hit, this becomes very easy: have your mage and your fighter both attack the exact same enemy with the exact same wand. Reload until you see misses from both of them, and check if the percents are equal or not.