Much or Highground

Firecage

spoilers abound:

Click to reveal..
problem is, the vahnatai will want you to harm muck as well in order to let you pass, you can ignore them and take the underground route or you can talk to the beholder beneath muck, tell him (the beholder) you'll keep quiet, tell the vahna about it and then return to kill it.

You can help Muck and yourself and still fulfill most of the quests.

Spoilers:

Click to reveal..
Don't do anything until you've spoken to the Vahnatai. They'll tell you that they won't let you pass unless you do something to hurt Muck. Then do the diplomacy quest and report back to Highground and the Vahnatai. It seems you've betrayed Muck but you can fix that by going back and killing the giant queen. Highground won't be happy about that but it's no big deal, and you'll still be able to pass through the Vahnatai lands.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Mirco from Italy and I recently finished my Avernum 5 quest. I had no problem in fully backing Muck against Highground and the Vahnatai. I killed the Giant Queen and didn't mention to help the Vahnatai when speaking with the Crystal *I don't remember the name*. It was funny to exit the Vahnatai Lands nevertheless. Mirco.