Exile III multiplayer?

Danny Hambor

I'm tempted just to lock this topic since it's been done so many times before, but I'll be good and let it go. No, Exile III should not be multiplayer, because turn-based games don't translate well into multiplayer mode, especially not the Exile engine. The GF engine could make a reasonable multiplayer game, but it probably never will.

Does it bother anyone else when people write "yea" and mean "yeah"? "Yea" is a different (albeit archaic) word with a different pronunciation and meaning.

Yeah (heh), turn-based doesn't really lend itself to multiplayer well. It can work if you make turns very very short, but that has some problems associated with it for an Exile-style game, or you can make turns medium length (a few seconds) and have people suffer through movement.

But basically Kel is right. Yea, Exile Online is an impossibility.

—Alorael, who would like a show of support or disdain for EO. Yea or nay, no abstentions!

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
I'm tempted just to lock this topic since it's been done so many times before, but I'll be good and let it go. No, Exile III should not be multiplayer, because turn-based games don't translate well into multiplayer mode, especially not the Exile engine. The GF engine could make a reasonable multiplayer game, but it probably never will.

Does it bother anyone else when people write "yea" and mean "yeah"? "Yea" is a different (albeit archaic) word with a different pronunciation and meaning.
I like it when people say "Yea" instead of Yeah. I can pretend to myself they share my liking for archaic English, rather than, you know, being unable to type properly. :p

Who ensures that you don't cheat, especially accidentally, and what are the rules for dealing with such cheating? It can become a problem when you're fifteen moves along before your opponent points out your mistake.

—Alorael, who is reminded of a board game entitled Field Marshal. You and an opponent each write down 10 moves and then reveal your moves and make them simultaneously. Among other difficulties, this requires rules for illegal moves discovered after the moves are written. According to the official game rules, the quickest way to legally win is to cheat and accept the penalties.

Quote:
Maintaining the kind of servers necessary for an online multiplayer game is expensive
Perhaps the multiplayer could be made similar to first person shooters and traditional RPG's, where one player starts a game and the others join in. That would eliminate the server cost. Multiplayer doesn't necessarily mean Massively Multiplayer.

</leetness>

The investment of several years of time required to develop a new game is still a huge risk. Shareware isn't an enormously high-profit field for the amount of work involved. If Jeff makes a game that doesn't sell, he goes out of business, and the best way to guarantee that everything he makes will sell is to keep designing in the same genre.

I think Jeff's real problem is that he doesn't have any guarantee that he can make a good game that isn't an RPG, period. He's said in interviews that sometimes he'd like to try his hand at something else (strategy came up, I think), but that it's a financial risk that he'd rather avoid as long as he can keep churning out relative cash cows.

—Alorael, who still hopes to see Nephil vs. Slith: Battle for Avernum sometime around 2012.