Alint Errors Continued

Ishad Nha

We need a sticky article on the Alint program and its errors. It is a pivotal utility, designers must be aware of what it can and cannot do for them. That is why I indulged in topic necromancy, there was something missing too.

Frostbite batch scan showed an incredible number of errors, are they all real? I will have to check.

I think that there would be more of a call for this information if more people were designing scenarios in the first place.

Also, as great a utility as Alint is (and I have used it in the past), it doesn't tell you anything you couldn't get from alpha-testing a scenario anyway. It is convenient (well, less so for PC users), true, but personally, and I mean this in the best possible way, I would rather your time and efforts went to releasing a new scenario, rather than this. You've shown you can do it - you ported River and Leaf. So do it.

For Mac OS there exists a GUI version which allows the user to select a file and then writes the report to a window. It does nothing that the command-line version didn't do, but it's a bit more convenient.

I have a somewhat patched version of Alint which I use in my experimental Ascript editor; the idea was that I would get Ascript in good working order and then release it and the fixed-up Alint source. I do genuinely intended to finish Ascript, I just sort of. . . haven't gotten around to it. And so the Alint fixes languish on my hard-drive. I don't recall any of them being sensational, but if you would like I could make a list of them, and likewise if you have pinpointed particular bugs that ned fixing, I could see about doing that and then make the source available ahead of Ascript.

Finally, I do have to say that I agree with Nikki in that Alint is already 99% correct, so our thirst for new scenarios vexes us more acutely. A scenario may be more work, but think of the glory, the everlasting fame, the riches of recognition which will surely be yours!

P.S. I have just realized that I hate both Alint's reporting of incorrect argument types ("want 'ii'"? How is a designer supposed to know what that means?) and Ascipt's reporting of Alint-detected errors (In one place it marks that an error has be found, but won't say what it is, and in another it tells what the errors were, but doesn't give itself enough space to show it all without the user resizing things.) Ugh. I resolve to address both of these unsightly blunders. Possibly beginning right now, as it would be more interesting than my E&M exam.

EDIT: CM, I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that all of us who have weighed in on this discussion are male, and I was specifically convinced of this in the case of Nikki, to whom I think you were referring.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
A scenario may be more work, but think of the glory, the everlasting fame, the riches of recognition which will surely be yours!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:

EDIT: CM, I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that all of us who have weighed in on this discussion are male, and I was specifically convinced of this in the case of Nikki, to whom I think you were referring.

I love how I can still do this. tongue

Ishad: I wasn't saying that it was more useful for Mac users - I said it was more convenient for them because they don't have to go through the command prompt.