Series re-mastering?

Maybe that's an audio term, but what I was wondering is, does anyone think it's likely that we will ever see the older Geneforge games re-created with the nice G5 engine?

Really just curious. I know the gameplay has not diminished, but the advances in the Geneforge engine really make it nice to use. Thanks.

Jeff has stated that he will remaster Avernum, with the first release in 2011 (a new game will be released in 2010). So, I will hazard a uneducated guess at the inner workings of Jeff's brain by posting what I think will be his production schedule:

2010: New game 1

2011: Avernum/Exile 1 3rd Generation

2012: New game 2

2013: Geneforge 1 2nd Generation

2014: New game 3

2015:Avernum/Exile 2 3rd Generation

and so on.

Of course, if I have underestimated Jeff's laziness, the schedule could be more like:

2010: New game 1

2011: Avernum/Exile 1 3rd Generation

2012: Geneforge 1 2nd Generation

2013: New game 2

2014: Avernum/Exile 2 3rd Generation

2015: Geneforge 2 2nd Generation

Either way, a 2nd generation Geneforge game would be far into the future.

It depends how much he changes the game when he remakes the series. He could go the Nethergate: Resurrection route and release a remake in the spring/summer using the GF5 game engine and most of the scripts from GF1 to 3. This requires less work on his part since most of it comes from new areas to explore and tweaking game balance for the newer game engine.

Jeff has previously discussed how much he hates starting from scratch and how much he loves using components of previous game engines. Although he sometimes scraps certain elements of an engine, I suspect that Exile: Escape from the Pit is the only game of his written entirely from scratch. That said, it could possibly apply to Nethergate or to Geneforge 1.

You'll note that Jeff hasn't really overhauled his skill system all that thoroughly since E1. Yes, Nethergate introduced a slightly different set and scaling costs, but the idea is the same.

—Alorael, who is thankful for that. Jeff found a good thing, and sticking with it certainly isn't hurting him.