A6 - Taking traits?

VCH

Having an exteme experience penalty works out just fine even on torment difficulty. Since Avernum 4 Jeff made it like Geneforge in that you get less experience for almost everything as your level gets higher. So having an experience penalty will mean a few less levels in the end, but you reach the less experience per monster slower.

The difference between playing with the worst experience penalty and the best experience bonus for a party of 4 is probably about 4 or 5 levels. For the same traits a human gets 2 more levels than a nephil whp gets 2 more levels than a slith (10% XP penalty difference between each race).

Now for those penalty traits, you get lots of nice skills that would cost more in skill points than those extra levels.

The older games Avernum 1 to 3 did experience differently and bonus XP traits gave lots more extra levels to more than make up for the disadvantages to the characters.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you lose a few levels, but that by the late game the skill points you get from those levels don't go very far. Divinely Touched, on the other hand, keeps giving you increasing benefits. You get far more skill point savings from the trait than the value of the skill points you don't get to spend.

—Alorael, who wonders if your characters can actually get into trouble if you select Good Constitution and Toughness. Those are truly worthless, non-scaling traits.

Wow quite enlightening. I used to always take toughness and the other low XP penalty traits. My rational was to level all my characters out to around the sam XP penalty. Now I see that was a mistake. Thanks.

Someone should put together a party creation guide, outlining what one should and should not do.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Someone should put together a party creation guide, outlining what one should and should not do.

Great start a flame war. You can't get us to agree on what one should and shouldn't do. Although Slarty is good at pointing out real stupid ideas in character builds.

Trait effects!

—Alorael, who can help with the simple traits. Strength + (melee/polearm) gives you the dice of damage. Dexterity + Bows gives you the dice of damage. Spellcraft + Magery + (mage/priest) gives you the bonus in the spells' formulas. Intelligence gives energy and Endurance gives health. For most other things, the answer is not so very clear.

Originally Posted By: Nullbuggery
VCH: It's in the works.

Excellent.

Like I said it's not a question of what the best build is or isn't. It is a question of what the heck certain skills etc actually do beyond the brief explanation Jeff gives in game.

I only ever play games once through, and I want to do everything, see everything and know what everything does. I'm sure others are the same.