Thick Skin and Good Constitution

SacredPath_82

do the benefits of Thick Skin and Good Constitution increase with levels? The bonuses seem to be pretty marginal in the beginning. I think I had a TS+GC tank in A4 once and he was nigh invulnerable no matter what the attack, but since A4 isn't as hard I prefer I high offense in that game. A5 on the other hand has monsters that pack a punch, so I'd like to use a heavy defense tank there.

Originally Posted By: Guided:Voices :: Expected:Nobody
There are traits they would be inferior to, even if none of the traits increased by level.

they could have been worthwhile if they, too, gave increases though.

A5 on Torment really has shown me what aggressive min-maxing means. I thought I was already pretty good at it from previous games, but I've never been that stingy with point/trait allocation before.

However, how would you explain it?

getting beat up makes a tough hide tougher, not less tough?

growing in level makes a humanoid with good constitution have better constitution due to extreme exposure to poisons and toxins (and not to forget the most important ingredient: getting beat up)?

I'm not mocking you, it just would be interesting to hear how you could reason this out.

Originally Posted By: avatar42
getting beat up makes a tough hide tougher, not less tough?

it can at least make you less receptible to shock from being beaten (you can see that in a professional boxer vs. beginning boxer). Also, your bones may have become thicker during adventuring due to mineralization, because you're carrying/ swinging heavy stuff. Weight training has that effect too.

Quote:
growing in level makes a humanoid with good constitution have better constitution due to extreme exposure to poisons and toxins

for example

not that I see the need to "explain" things like this (or how being "divinely touched" makes you an ever better archer, fighter and mage)

Come up with a reasonable explanation for the mechanics of levels and an explanation for Thick Skin and Good Constitution shouldn't be too hard. It's the first part that's a challenge.

—Alorael, who thinks the traits are just supposed to scale with level because, apparently, adventurers scale with levels in most ways. Because.

Originally Posted By: Komemnoration
Come up with a reasonable explanation for the mechanics of levels and an explanation for Thick Skin and Good Constitution shouldn't be too hard. It's the first part that's a challenge.

—Alorael, who thinks the traits are just supposed to scale with level because, apparently, adventurers scale with levels in most ways. Because.

I don't think levels is that hard to explain. The more you adventure (work out), the stronger, tougher (endurance) and faster (dexterity) you become. Also, skills do improve with practice in rl. I think the thing that's hardest to explain about RPGs (besides magic) is HP (life energy). Oh, I just got stabbed in the guts with an iron lance repeatedly... but never mind I still have 4 HP left so let's get going O_o