Editor/Programming Question

Tonweya

I've looked all through the 'Instruction Manual' that comes with the BoE Editor and cannot find anything describing PC functions such as; 'Look', 'Cast', etc.

I understand that placing a Node on something like a Chest, Bookshelf, Good or Evil Altar starts an event whereby the PC is given a message regarding the Item, thus encouraging the Player to respond accordingly.

However, I don't understand how Looking, or Casting are differentiated from Stepping on the object, or 'Special'.

For instance; if a chest is on the floor, the PC cannot step on it to trigger the Node; they must 'Look' at it, the same with a Bookcase. If there is an Evil Altar, how do you differentiate one that can be Sanctified from one that cannot, Etc., etc., etc.

Is there some 'Appendix', or 'Volume II' for the Editor, or have I missed something in the one that accompanies the original program; and if there is, where can I find/access it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tx,

me

Originally Posted By: Ahbleza
However, I don't understand how Looking, or Casting are differentiated from Stepping on the object, or 'Special'.
For instance; if a chest is on the floor, the PC cannot step on it to trigger the Node; they must 'Look' at it, the same with a Bookcase.

They can't step on it to trigger the node because they can't step on it at all. Only terrains that can be walked on will trigger nodes by walking on them.

Quote:
If there is an Evil Altar, how do you differentiate one that can be Sanctified from one that cannot, Etc., etc., etc.

This is what the Ritual of Sanctification Block node does.

I understand this.

What I'm asking is; is there a location that I can read what happens when the Party 'Looks', or 'Casts' at an object?

Specifically, in Stareye's Spy's Quest, Town 19, Shrine of Aquarius, there is an Evil Altar that has been giving me the heebie jeebies.

If all Flags start at 'zero', then the Flag associated with this should be at zero when first encountered.

If I 'Look', the response is, "You see an Evil Altar".

There is a 'Ritual of Sanctification Block', jump to the next Node which checks to see if Flag 19, 4 is "0", the Altar is destroyed and, in the process, a Haakai is standing beside the Party which they must defeat.

When I cast, 'Ritual Sanctification', nothing happens.

Looking at the Town Nodes, there are only three places where Flag 19, 4 occurs and none of them would change this Flag from the 'Zero' status.

I've gone back two saves to the mission from General Oxford in Estusian and am playing back to the Shrine of Aquarius in the hopes that I somehow did something wrong.

A similar event happens in the Shrine of Glacius in that Evil Altar also won't react to the 'Ritual Sanctification' Spell, but I'm still not sure of what's wrong at the Shrine of Aquarius that I'm not yet concerned with Glacius until I figure out what happened in Aquarius.

P.S. I've deliberately not done Walk-Throughs for Stareye's Scenarios because they were tedious for me to try to play and now I know why. ;^}

N-E-ways... All I wanted to know was; is there a location that I can see what happens when the Party either 'looks', or 'casts'?

tx,

me

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Ahbleza

For instance; if a chest is on the floor, the PC cannot step on it to trigger the Node; they must 'Look' at it, the same with a Bookcase. If there is an Evil Altar, how do you differentiate one that can be Sanctified from one that cannot, Etc., etc., etc.
me
Sadly, there is currently no good way to do this. You can use a "Look block" to prevent a node from being triggered when the player looks at the space; that means it must be triggered when the player tries to enter the space. You can use a Ritual of Sanctification block, which must be the first node in a chain, to indicate that the node sequence may be triggered by a Ritual of Sanctification, and I believe that it allows to to specify a node to call if it is triggered by other means. I don't think there is a way to specify two separate reactions for stepping on or looking at a space.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

They can't step on it to trigger the node because they can't step on it at all. Only terrains that can be walked on will trigger nodes by walking on them.
I think this is not the case; isn't it simply attempting to step on a space that triggers a node?

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
I think this is not the case; isn't it simply attempting to step on a space that triggers a node?

Nope! Try it yourself. If you put a special node on a wall, table or other blocked terrain, nothing will happen when the PCs walk into it.

I believe it does check for some nodes, though, like Secret Passage and Can't Enter.

Perhaps it would be possible to create a makeshift, clunky "Stepping Block" with two separate node chains on one space?

For example, here's the first node chain:

1. Looking Block, jump to 2 if not blocked

2. Set Flag (0,1) to 1, end chain

(The effect of this is that the flag is not set to 1 if the party triggered the chain by looking, but is set to 1 if they stepped on it.)

Then, the second chain:

3. SDF Equals? If (0,1) == 1 (party stepped to trigger first chain), then jump to 4. Else, jump to 5.

4. Set Flag (0,1) to 0 (to reset encounter), end chain

5. (whatever you wanted to be triggered only when looked at)

Seems like it would work, although obviously an actual, single-node Stepping Block would be nice.

That does sound like it would work. You'd have to be careful to make sure the nodes are placed in the right order on the space, of course. I suppose the Looking Block chain would need to be placed first, then the other one moved to the space by copy-paste?