Password Problem

Tonweya

For some time now I've been making detailed Walk-Throughs for Scenarios as a 'hobby' and recently began one for Stareye's "Spy's Quest".

I ran into a problem at the "Hidden Tower". The object is to remove the source of some 'Evil Magic' which is an 'Evil Altar'. I cast, "Ritual Sanctification" and got all the sound effects and dialog as normal, but could not progress with the Scenario. There was no Node to "Change Terrain".

I E-mailed Stareye explaining the problem and even asked if I might have the password to make the 'repair'. He said that there were no corrected versions and that he had forgotten the password as it had been a long time ago.

He recommended that I ask the Community for help, so here I am.

I have no intention of undermining the work that Stareye, or any Author, has done. I just enjoy making these "Walk-Throughs".

Do any of you who know how to program know either how to find the password for this Scenario, of happen to know what it is?

As a 'safeguard' I'd ask that you check first with Stareye to verify my story.

I've 'shelved' what I have, but would really like to complete this Walk-Through.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated,

Tx,

me

WOW! Quick reply, thanks.

I've been following what has been posted regarding all the modifications, but thought that it was still under 'construction'.

What/Which version do I use and will it affect what I presently have on my machine?

Sorry to be so 'out of touch', but the truth is, I am. ;^{

Thanks again,

me

Originally Posted By: Ahbleza
What/Which version do I use and will it affect what I presently have on my machine?

It depends ...
If you're on Windows, get the Classic BoE package at Google Code Download page. The editor is fully backward compatible ... No modification will occurs when using Classic BoE (mostly bug fixes and new features, no deep changes for now).
If you're on Mac, there may be a editor floating around somewhere, but i don't know anymore smile

Third question about password protection, so i'll definitely upload the password removing command line executable. wink

Chokboyz

I haven't released a non-passworded editor yet, and when I do, it'll be using the new scenario format. So if you're on Mac you'll have to get someone to remove the password for you.

Chokboyz, if you could upload that password removing thing in the repository (perhaps a subfolder within Win32) that could be useful. Then I could port it to Mac, so that it's available for both platforms. It'll become redundant eventually, of course, but for now it can still be useful.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Chokboyz, if you could upload that password removing thing in the repository (perhaps a subfolder within Win32) that could be useful. Then I could port it to Mac, so that it's available for both platforms.

Given that it's written in plain C that wouldn't be hard smile

Chokboyz

I'm on Windows XP with the original version of BoE running in W '95 compatability.

I've only recently learned how to use the Editor, but can create, modify etc. adequately.

I had volunteered the Walk-Throughs some time back, but was told that mine are too elaborate. So, I'm just doing them for my satisfaction. I keep an eye on the Board to respond to any question for help that I can.

Last question(s); Am I correct to understand that what Thuryl said, using the Open Source Editor elimates the password, or is that only for 'new work'? And/or is your statement, "password removing command line executable" to mean that you still have to add that line to the 'new' Editor?

Again,

many thanks all,

me

Chokboyz, if you could upload that password removing thing in the repository (perhaps a subfolder within Win32) that could be useful. Then I could port it to Mac, so that it's available for both platforms.

The new editor bypass the password protection checks, so works for both old and new scenarios.
The password removing part (in fact setting, as you can set the password to whatever you want) is about an executable meant for people that either don't want to use the new editor (for some reason) or can't use to the new Win32 editor (Mac people for the most, though Classic BoE is working fine under Wine).

And you're welcome, wink
Chokboyz

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz

Given that it's written in plain C that wouldn't be hard smile
Uh, I looked at it. It's definitely C++, and would not compile as C.

I think what I'll do is see if it compiles (and works) unchanged, and if not, add conditional compilation stuff where necessary.

Also, you've misattributed that quote.

Uh, I looked at it. It's definitely C++, and would not compile as C.

Oh you're right, the RECT16 structures i copy/pasted are C++. That shouldn't be hard to change though smile

Also, you've misattributed that quote.

I really need some rest ...

Chokboyz

Not being of a very high wattage luminescence, I hope you'll excuse another amateur-type question, but...

I downloaded the 'Win32_CBoE_Beta2.zip' file and tried to open both the Program Editor and Character Editors. I heard the Introductory Music(?) and only saw two rectangles on a black screen.

Am I supposed to open these 'on their own', overwrite the original BoE, or what?

Again, sorry for being a pain in the neck,

me

P.S. Is the 'BoE_NP.exe' file supposed to be included with the 'CBoE'?

P.S.+ When I try to run 'Blades of Exile.exe I get a message that it cannot find, 'BOESOUNDS.DLL' and looking at the list of files, 'boesounds.dll' is in lower case, not upper case. Is it me, or ?

I think you may need to create a folder called "Scenario Editor" or something, and copy the following files into it:

Code:
Blades of Exile Scenario Editor.exeScenario Editor.hlpboesounds.dllBladbase.exsimages

I'd wait for confirmation from Chokboyz, though. However, that's what the original directory structure was like, and I don't understand why it has changed.

And you don't need BoE_NP.exe.

I downloaded the 'Win32_CBoE_Beta2.zip' file and tried to open both the Program Editor and Character Editors. I heard the Introductory Music(?) and only saw two rectangles on a black screen.
Am I supposed to open these 'on their own', overwrite the original BoE, or what?

That's because there's no images directory to search graphic files in ... That's mostly results from a bad "installation" of the game.
Clean installation instructions : create a new directory on your computer (location and name can be what you wants), then unzip the 'Win32_CBoE_Beta2.zip" archive ('with folders' option activated) in this directory.

P.S. Is the 'BoE_NP.exe' file supposed to be included with Classic BoE?

Absolutely not, it's a stand alone file that can be used to remove (or set) password for a given scenario.

P.S.+ When I try to run 'Blades of Exile.exe I get a message that it cannot find, 'BOESOUNDS.DLL' and looking at the list of files, 'boesounds.dll' is in lower case, not upper case. Is it me, or ?

Please gives us your OS type and version. Also, does the same thing happens when 'installing' the game with the previous procedure ?(note the name of the DLL in the error dialog box is always in capital case, so nothing wrong here)

I'd wait for confirmation from Chokboyz, though. However, that's what the original directory structure was like, and I don't understand why it has changed.

No confirmation here, the structure is unchanged so far ...

Chokboyz

No confirmation here, the structure is unchanged so far ...
Uh, what? I downloaded and unzipped the Windows version. Wasn't the scenario editor and all the data originally in a subfolder of the main game folder? I'm pretty sure it was. In your package it's all in the same folder.

Creating a separate folder, "OBOE", and unzipping the Beta2 within it gives the same results as above, when running any of the three *.exe programs. All three 'lock-up'.

The original version, Jeff's, of Blades does have two sub-folders, BLADSCEN and BLSCENED.

When I unzip the Beta2, no sub-directories are created, all files are listed individually, as you said.

Any chance that's a problem?

If the 'BoE_NP.exe is a 'stand alone', where should I place it to use it on a Scenario?

me

Have you tried redownloading the ZIP file? Maybe something got screwed up. I just redownloaded it and there are two subfolders called "images" and "scenarios".

Also, what method are you using to unzip the ZIP file? Windows XP's built-in unzipping utility should keep subfolders intact. If you're using a third-party unzipping program, maybe that's the problem.

Other than that, there's nothing I can think of right now that would be causing this problem.

The original version, Jeff's, of Blades does have two sub-folders, BLADSCEN and BLSCENED.

That structure is now obsolete.

When I unzip the Beta2, no sub-directories are created, all files are listed individually, as you said.

Then that's the problem : you're not unzipping the archive correctly. Like ADoS said whatever program you are using, there should be an option to keep the folder structure intact.
The archive may also be corrupted, but then you shouldn't be able to open it at all ...
Once again :
Please gives us your OS type and version.

That can be a useful element.
Also, please gives us the program you use to unzip the archive. smile

If the 'BoE_NP.exe is a 'stand alone', where should I place it to use it on a Scenario?

Anywhere you want : BoE_NP is a command-line executable and installing it doesn't require more then putting it on your computer.
Usage : put your scenario in the same folder than BoE_NP and use the command line to call it (syntax: BoE_NP scenario_name.exs password_to_set).

Chokboyz

The OS is Windows XP Professional.

I'm using Winzip; (WinZip 9.0 SR-1, 'WINZIP32.EXE')

Sorry, I thought I had identified the OS originally.

I understand that Jeff's original structure is no longer applicable. I used that as an expample to question if sub-folders were important; apparently they are.

The new application is not un-zipping properly and I see no option to 'keep the folder structure intact'.

May I ask which program you used to compact the Beta2?

I'll find what ever that is and use it.

As to using the BoE_NP, the way you describe it, it sounds like I'd need to be in a programming mode to access the Scenario.

For me to edit a scenario everything is done by Icons. I load the Editor, click on the button icon to load a scenario and click on graphic icon bars to select a function, or icons on the *.bmp image to edit nodes, etc.

I don't understand how I can add the 'Command Line' to a running program.

You're not assuming I'm a programmer and have/use a File Editor, are you? I've just lately learned how to use Jeff's BoE Editor. ;^{

Sorry for being so slow to understand this. Languages were my 'strong suit' years ago. ;^{

It may be a little late in the work you all have been doing, but maybe you could add an 'Auto Load' function for your final product that included inputting the OS information. I'd assume that there may be a few others out here that may require some assistance.

me

Then that's the problem : you're not unzipping the archive correctly. Like ADoS said whatever program you are using, there should be an option to keep the folder structure intact.
And the folder structure is with only two subfolders? Why is the scenario editor and the data not in a subfolder as it was in the original?

Anywhere you want : BoE_NP is a command-line executable and installing it doesn't require more then putting it on your computer.
Usage : put your scenario in the same folder than BoE_NP and use the command line to call it (syntax: BoE_NP scenario_name.exs password_to_set).
Surely you don't need your scenario to be in the same folder? Couldn't you just type "BoE_NP C:\path\to\scenario.exs password" or even "BoE_NP relative\path\to\scenario.exs password"?

As to using the BoE_NP, the way you describe it, it sounds like I'd need to be in a programming mode to access the Scenario.
For me to edit a scenario everything is done by Icons. I load the Editor, click on the button icon to load a scenario and click on graphic icon bars to select a function, or icons on the *.bmp image to edit nodes, etc.
The "Command Line" is a separate program. Go to the Start Menu, choose Run, and type
the command in. Or, if you want to set several scenario passwords in a row, type "cmd.exe" (on XP) and then you'll get a window where you can type further commands.

In-fraggin'-credible.

I never knew that was there. I 'assumed' one needed to have some special program to un-zip things.

May I publicly state: You are the right people, in the right place, at the right time.

The 'event' was when Jeff released the code and the right people were there.

THANKS,

me

The OS is Windows XP Professional.
I'm using Winzip; (WinZip 9.0 SR-1, 'WINZIP32.EXE')
Sorry, I thought I had identified the OS originally.

No problem. WinZip is not the best archiver out there but there's no problem with it.

I understand that Jeff's original structure is no longer applicable. I used that as an expample to question if sub-folders were important; apparently they are.

Little piece of advice : if someone use a folder structure in a project, then it's a bad idea to break it (e.g moving the "Windows" folder can have 'dramatic' consequences) wink

The new application is not un-zipping properly and I see no option to 'keep the folder structure intact'.
May I ask which program you used to compact the Beta2?
I'll find what ever that is and use it.

I may have used WinRar or the Windows XP integrated archiver (i'm not trying to achieve optimal compression), i don't remember.
I've just installed WinZip 9.0 to check and there is a 'keep the folder structure intact' option : when clicking the extract button, check the box 'use folder names' (that is in 'WinZip Classic' mode not the wizard. If you're using the wizard mode, turn it off.).
If only using WinZip for unarchiving purpose, i'd suggest returning to the XP integrated archiver (nothing more to do than suppress the .zip files association with WinZip) which may be more simple to use (the unarchiving is done exactly the same way as moving a folder.).

My bad, i've assumed you knew a bit more about computer.
Long before Windows XP were other (read less general audience oriented/ convivial) Operative Systems and amonst one of them was MS-DOS (MicroSoft Disk Operating System).
Long story short, there was no windows/desktop (even sometimes no native mouse support), all commands were to be typed and the user was entirely responsible for the memory management in his computer (low/high memory, XMS, EMS, 640k barrier for the nostalgics ;)).
Because sometimes you don't need the whole desktop thing (or generally because it's broken), there's a (skeletic) remnant of this on modern OS (don't know for Vista or Windows 7, though) : to call it open the 'Execute ...' box and type 'cmd'.
If you're absolutely not familiar with computer or don't want to bother, i'd not using BoE_NP at all since the new editor will probably suffice.

You're not assuming I'm a programmer and have/use a File Editor, are you? I've just lately learned how to use Jeff's BoE Editor. ;^{

No problem, even Jeff's Editor can be a little tricky if you're not familiar with the way of proceeding.

Sorry for being so slow to understand this. Languages were my 'strong suit' years ago. ;^{

I see no correlation between those two. wink

It may be a little late in the work you all have been doing, but maybe you could add an 'Auto Load' function for your final product that included inputting the OS information. I'd assume that there may be a few others out here that may require some assistance.
you

I highly doubt i would make an installer for Classic BoE for two reasons :
  • basic unarchiving is rather easy (you end up with WinZip installed on your computer, but i bet if you had used the integrated archiver it would have a being a lot easier smile )
  • installers/auto-exec are opaques and more adapted for larger sized projects.
Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

Edit :
And the folder structure is with only two subfolders? Why is the scenario editor and the data not in a subfolder as it was in the original?

Ormus put it that way (i think he intended to use the boesounds.DLL with all the three programs), and i found the idea good.

Surely you don't need your scenario to be in the same folder? Couldn't you just type "BoE_NP C:\path\to\scenario.exs password" or even "BoE_NP relative\path\to\scenario.exs password"?

Of course, but i was trying to keep it simple here smile

In-fraggin'-credible.
I never knew that was there. I 'assumed' one needed to have some special program to un-zip things.

Once it was necessary, but with modern OS it's not anymore.

Ormus put it that way (i think he intended to use the boesounds.DLL with all the three programs), and i found the idea good.
...Why would that be necessary to use boesounds.dll for all three?

Anyway, I haven't changed the directory structure and have no intention of doing so. I'll be loading each sound from an individual file. I actually question whether boesounds.dll was really a good idea.

Anyway, I haven't changed the directory structure and have no intention of doing so. I'll be loading each sound from an individual file.

No problem with that smile

I actually question whether boesounds.dll was really a good idea.

It may be a Windows optimisation stuff or whatever, but i don't know anymore. Ask Ormus for that, i'm basically leaving that part 'in state'.

Chokboyz

Short note:

With our sons, I learned Dos to read & write programs, but as time passed, I was busy with work, little league, First Aid Squad, etc. and lost contact with the programming. The kids advanced and I didn't.

Now that I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands, I like to work with Word, Excel, Access, etc. to keep my mind and hands busy. To me it's simply, 'fun'.

I never learned C, or any advanced programming languages, nor do I really use most of the functions of these machines. So it takes a little while for me to 'see' the obvious.

A lightning bolt caused us to buy a new TV - our first LCD. I was surprised to learn that a 26 inch LCD is not the same as a 26 inch CRT. After sending it back and purchasing a larger size, we're quite happy, thank you.

And, seriously, thank you, one and all for all the help.

me