Challenge Runthrough[G5]

I think that one of the classes that got the short end of the stick in G5 is the Warrior/Guardian. Warriors will invariably be superior by mid-game, so that's what I'll go with. I want to try to work a viable squadron build that focuses on Magic Shaping and melee skills. The difficulty will be set at Torment.

At first, I will lean slightly towards the rebels, joining up with the Trakovites as soon ASAP to get access to much-needed healing and blessing spells. Then I'll switch to Astoria before going pro-Shaper and joining Alwan once and for all. I want to hold off on Fire Shaping until then so that I don't have to spend any skill points to get a Drayk.

I will start by investing heavily in mechanics so that I can steal the Shaper Robe from Rawal's bedroom before fighting the presence. This will allow me to make a Plated Artila to ramp up my damage output early. With the Int boosts from the turning in Mehkan and the Student's Belt, I'll have just enough essence for this as a level 12 Warrior. The Thirsting Gloves and Thorny Chitin will be my best friends.

After getting some Mental Magic, Blessing Magic, and Vlish from Haria-Kel I'll attempt (and quite possibly fail) to infiltrate the Repository and recover the Frozen Blade. If it works, the mid-game hump will be a lot easier to get over. If not, well, I'll have to make due with an enchanted Steel Broadsword for most of the fens.

I'll deliberately lay off Dex and QA so that my Warrior will attack last and soak up more hits. The lack of powerful Dazing effects will hurt early on, and low Blessing Magic may be too painful to wait on Haria-Kel. Any thoughts on how to make this less torturous?

Use food and then pods for healing and hack away. The stunning blade that Antonia drops in Whitespire Pass with acid enhancement for turning in Lel to Agent Michelle is actually very powerful for a fighter type. I've found that I can stun an oppenent about 25% of the time.

I ran a Guardian through on torment and it was quite powerful even without creations. Since you have the mechanics, push on to Gorash-Kel for Quothe so he drops his prices and then buy training. Just buy all the levels of blessing and shield spells and cast multiple bufffs before major fights. This makes a difference early in the game before you buy training in Blessing Magic. Same with Daze spell for swarms, although having Mental Magic helps.

These are my stats after the demo area. I have a level 20 Plated Artila whose resistance to magic damage made it possible to beat the Presence Mind. The acid damage is huge this early in the game, though it did rob some much-needed exp. from my character. I hope to hang on to it for a long time to make myself feel like it was a worthwhile loss.

I'm getting +1 INT from the Student's Belt.

My stats.