Geneforge 5 Windows Speed Improvement Test Version[G5]

Spidweb

Some users have had speed difficulties with Geneforge 5: Overthrow for Windows. On some machines without an OpenGL compatible video card, the game can play slowly. Alas, this includes many machines with Intel GMA graphics chips (which are common).

Based on feedback from the field, we have released a test beta application which might be able to solve some of these speed problems. If the game plays slowly for you, to get the new version:

1. Download the new application file at

ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/temp/Geneforge5v101test.zip

2. Unpack it. Copy it into the Geneforge 5 folder (which should be in Program Files/Spiderweb Software) and run it. (To verify it's running, the version number of the title screen should be v1.0.1test.)

3. When the Screen Size dialog box at the beginning of the game comes up, select the Play In Fast Graphics Mode checkbox.

4. See how it runs.

Please let me know if this helps (or doesn't help). You can post in this thread or write us at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com. When you give feedback, it is VERY helpful if you tell us about your system (OS, chip type, video hardware). Without any system information, your feedback probably won't help.

You can give us the most helpful information by: Select Run from the Start Menu, run dxdiag, hit the Save All Information button, and E-mail the resulting file to us.

I really hope this helps, and thank you for your patience.

- Jeff Vogel

As of the evening of February 26th, I have replaced the v101 test with a new test application file. The download link is the same, and the version number on the title screen will be v1.0.1testb.

I made some more optimizations, and this version, when you select Fast Graphics Mode on the opening dialog box, will be faster. How much faster? I'm not sure. But it will put a lot less pressure on your video hardware.

As always, if you have speed problems and try out the new version, please tell me how it goes.

- Jeff Vogel

As of the afternoon of February 27th, I have replaced the v101 test with a new test application file. The download link is the same, and the version number on the title screen will be v1.0.1testc.

I have maintained the optimizations in v101testb that put far less pressure on video hardware when running in Fast Graphics Mode. In addition, I have set some flags which should help OpenGL to locate and use hardware acceleration.

Thank you for your patience during this refining process, as I use data from the field to try to get Geneforge 5 working better with a wide variety of hardware. As always, if you have speed problems and try out the new version, please tell me how it goes.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
As of the afternoon of February 27th, I have replaced the v101 test with a new test application file. The download link is the same, and the version number on the title screen will be v1.0.1testc.

- Jeff Vogel

grin Awesome i can run it too although it still lags here and there and the fight with the vlish was in slow motion. And the game froze at the end, i think its that rare vlish freeze you mentioned.

When I first downloaded the demo my computer got very very slow, especially on the initial dialog boxes (to choose the type of character for example). Now I downloaded and installed this exe file and the problems were completely solved!

For what it's worth, this is the info I got after the Dxdiag:

My computer is a laptop bought in 2006 by the way.

*Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

*Processor: Intel® Celeron® M processor 1.60GHz

*DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

*Card name: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

Still the CPU has 100% load, thats especially bad for notebook gamers as the CPU fan is running at full speed. I guess (only guess) the input handler eats all CPU cycles. On a dual core CPU one core is used to nearly 100% the other core isn't used much. As i didn't take a deeper look on the dual core machine i can't say for sure if GF5 even make mild use of the second core, if so i guess the compiler decided to multithread some routines.

However: it would be great if the game wouldn't use all CPU cycles for no good. I'm somehow sure the game doesn't really require a 2Ghz Pentium-M at 100% load or an 3,2Ghz Core2 Duo at nearly 100% for one core.

May sound strange, but this is even an ecological thing as it wastes energy.

i have downloaded gf5 several times when i open it i get a resolution window, however all it is is an empty dialogue box with 2 check boxes below ie: start in windows and always start with this resolution. under that is a quit and ok tab. running xp sp2. graphic driver reads as up to date, [intel 83810E ] its 3D AGP graphics intel direct AGP. my resolution is as recommended however its 16bit not 32 bit true color. have tried 256 color with the same result. i have run gf1 thru 4 with no problems at all. PLEASE help, been waiting months for this game!

rclear666,

have you downloaded the "patch" (beta1.0.1) that right in this very same thread??

After you download and install it, you get another option in the dialog box called "fast graphics mode" which pretty much solves the problems. My computers has similar characteristics as yours and it worked, try it!

patch didnt work, BUT just talked to jeff on the phone [very cool] and said the problem is for people like me who only have 16bit color drivers there is no dialogue in the box on the resolution screen. this will be repaired by tomorrow, no patches necessary and downloadable from the regular games dpownload screen. however he did recommend uninstalling and cleaning out all current gf5 program files. thanx jeff!

We have released Geneforge 5 v1.0.1, which now contains pretty much all of the speed tricks we can come up with to make the game run faster. Hopefully, this will help most of the people with msot of their problems. Thank you very much for your patience while we worked on this!

- Jeff Vogel