The Cherth Campaign (my first scenario) is released!

Mistb0rn

I've messed with it and fixed little things here and there, added and subtracted things after input from my wonderful alpha and beta testers and now... I can't find anything more to fix, so it must be finished! ;-)

It is now available on my website. Please play it and rate it at CSR. And feel free to email me (mistb0rn@aol.com) with any questions, comments, errors, or suggestions for improvement!

And a big thank you to everyone on these forums who've helped me all along the way, THANK YOU ALL!!!

I'm now back at work on my second scenario, currently titled Archipelago. It is much larger and more complicated, so it may be several months before it's ready.

It is good that people are still using BOE and creating scenarios. I am currently creating a scenario and I hope to have it ready in a couple months. Still learning the ins and outs of the program.

I plan on downloading many of the scenarios and giving them a try. I look forward to using this forum more.

Are scenarios still being added to Spiderweb's website or are they just being added to fan sites and individual's sites?

My scenarios are available on TrueSite under my username. They are The Scenario, Terror From The Park, and The Killing Cave. They are all very, very small, gross to varying degrees, and intended but apparently failing to be enjoyable. The Killing Cave is also a utility scenario that can't be played on Ormus's BoE due to bugs (pinpointing the bugs is why it was created, in fact). The Scenario is listed on TrueSite as a utility scenario as well, even though it is not, much to my futile displeasure.

I'm not done with your scenario yet, but from what I've seen it's below par, but better than a lot of beginner scenarios. It shows you know how to use the editor, which is good, and the valley is fairly nice looking. However, the vast majority of the personalities are flat and boring, if not flatout bizarre, and the towns are strangely designed. As I said, however, I haven't finished the scenario yet and haven't been into any dungeons yet, so my opinion may change.

My biggest recommendation at this point would be to play more scenarios to see how they're designed, and read CSR reviews to see what people think of different aspects of scenarios. Also, these articles may be useful to read.

EDIT: Spiderweb's scenario tables are no longer updated.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
I'm not done with your scenario yet, but from what I've seen it's below par, but better than a lot of beginner scenarios. It shows you know how to use the editor, which is good, and the valley is fairly nice looking. However, the vast majority of the personalities are flat and boring, if not flatout bizarre, and the towns are strangely designed. As I said, however, I haven't finished the scenario yet and haven't been into any dungeons yet, so my opinion may change.

As long as it's better than most beginner scenarios, I've succeeded. ;-) 'Below par' is to be expected. My next scenario should be much better, though not on the 'great' scale, I'm sure. Of course, just about everything I come up with has already been done better.
But hopefully I'll be able to improve with more practice.

Just out of curiosity, which towns did you find strange? All of them? Or just some?

I've downloaded your first two scenarios, couldn't find Killing Cave though, and I'll plan to play them when I find the time.

Soldiers trapped in the wall with no doors, but hidden doorways for any monster to enter the walls at will. A portal with nobody to maintain it. Illogical layout. Open-air weapon storerooms with KEEP OUT signs and no guards. It's all stuff you have to think about, and those Designer's Forum articles should give you some tips on what to do and what not to do, and what to keep in mind. Of course, good scenarios sometimes break the general rules of good design, but in order to do that you need to understand those rules and why they're there. I have to go clean my kitchen, but when I get back I'll try and pick out some particularly helpful articles (unless someone else does it before I get back).

Not yet. I plan on downloading as many scenarios as I can and moving them to my computer which has Blades of Exile installed on it. I am embarassed to say that that computer is very old and has not seen the internet since 1996.

I will make a point of running your scenario first. Unless it is huge I should have it finished within a week.

Originally Posted By: Eamon
Unless it is huge I should have it finished within a week.

It's tiny and not very good (or original), but it is my first and I had some 'help' from the kids designing towns. At least I know how to use the editor fairly well now, so my next scenario should be better. Hopefully.

And I think it's pretty cool to have such an old computer still working. It shouldn't be embarrassing at all, IMO. ;-)
What OS do you use on it?

The computer in question is a Mac Performa 635cd running System 7.6. I also have running an Apple II, a Mac SE, an iMac, and an eMac. These were all purchased new and are all still in full working condition.

I have worked on and off at a software company so I have had access to all the out of date computers so I have back up computers in case any of mine die.

I do also have a Windows machine, but I hardly ever use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished playing it now. The structure of the game works and is very good for your first scenario. I also found the dialogue and personalities poor. I found the narrow halls that loop around the entire screen to be annoying. I dislike fighting in narrow hallways. Also try not to use tiny rooms when you are planning on having a fight there, like the rooms with the books in the goblin lair.

Since there are no specific problems with your first scenario I would recommend you just learn from it and make your next one better.

SPOILER AHEAD

I really liked the backside of the wizard tower. You can't see it until you find it.

Originally Posted By: Eamon
I have finished playing it now. The structure of the game works and is very good for your first scenario. I also found the dialogue and personalities poor. I found the narrow halls that loop around the entire screen to be annoying. I dislike fighting in narrow hallways. Also try not to use tiny rooms when you are planning on having a fight there, like the rooms with the books in the goblin lair.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know about the dialog/personalities--most were designed by one of the kids, and I didn't edit them enough. The narrow hallways and small rooms I have no excuse for, I'll just try to improve in future.

Quote:
Since there are no specific problems with your first scenario I would recommend you just learn from it and make your next one better.

That's what I figured. I'll just try to do better, and hope that people weren't completely put off by this one. ;-)

Thank you very much for the input! I'm new to all this, and I really appreciate it!

Oh, so a child wrote the dialogue! That explains everything! Hint for the future: Write the dialogue yourself from now on. Some personalities were great, and others were ridiculous, like the shopkeeper who tells you to get out of the shop for no reason. At least we now know it means it isn't necessarily your own failing.

I still haven't finished, and I really have no excuse. I did finish the ogre tower, though, and I thought it was refreshingly easy. That's not really a good thing, but given that it didn't actually have anything interesting in it, it's good that I didn't have to spend too much time fighting room after room of bland ogres. I would have preferred a genuinely interesting dungeon though. Something to make the ogres more than just generic ogres, perhaps something that would indicate the intelligence they must clearly have if they can put up such a difficult magical barrier.

I did find the outdoor ogre shop charming though.