Avernum 5 - loved it

Quis

Just finished and I have to say I was impressed. I played Crystal Souls years ago but completely forgot about Spiderweb software. A recent return visit sucked me into Avernum 5 for which I am grateful.

I liked:

Story - engaging with plenty of opportunity to divert into side quests

Use of humor - I still chortle about the 'dangerous alchemy shop located with usual consideration for civic safety in the middle of town' (or something along those lines).

Characters - many quite memorable, from the drunk Sergeant and the bored demon suffering from a surfeit of tedium to the dragon irritated with his nagging mother

Interesting fights - slitheraki horror, black horror, moref the shade, the pitmaster etc etc

Got one question that someone may answer. When you do in the despicable Gladwell there is a crystal to smash that releases a woman's spirit, apparently she looks 'familiar' to you. Who is that meant to be?

Anyway time to give Geneforge 4 a go.

Originally Posted By: Quis
Got one question that someone may answer. When you do in the despicable Gladwell there is a crystal to smash that releases a woman's spirit, apparently she looks 'familiar' to you. Who is that meant to be?

Remember that woman in Gladwell's Keep? I'm pretty sure it's her. If you go back and talk to her she's got different dialogue.

Originally Posted By: Quis

Use of humor - I still chortle about the 'dangerous alchemy shop located with usual consideration for civic safety in the middle of town' (or something along those lines).

Absolutely! That Jeff put this intelligent (and often subtle) humor into Avernum makes all the difference to me. How can one be so sarcastic and yet ...thingy. Uh. I don't know, can't find an English word for it. It just makes you wanna hug everybody, doesn't it? Like those cute little imps wink

humor? humor u say!?!?

well was preaty funny when the talking chitrash said she wasnt going to speak with me...for 5mins lol´

when u arrive at the talking spiders, they all start to gather to fight u while u are amased to find talking spiders then after a while they get bored of u not ataking and get back to their duties.

but my best laught was when u ask a talking spider who was trying to become an aranea (magic spider user), named spider (like all of them), to teach u spells, it goes something like this:

spider:ok,jump in the air.

party:*party jumps in the air*

spider:say, arrrrr!!!

party:arrrrr!!!!

spider:louder!!!

party:AAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

spider:good, know u just need to throw lightning from ur hands, thats the hard part, when u figure it out let me know pls.

->priceless moment of rolling on the floor laught

Riditas (In Oglai, A2 of course), who sells mushrooms - "Only the best. Large, soft, well treated, and very energizing. And few harmful hallucinations!"

In A5 the GIFTS are the funniest characters, I think, though I don't remember anything from Dark.Fenix's post in the game.

Originally Posted By: Dark.Fenix
shocked havent u talked to all of them?
there was also the one who was raising the baby spiders that in turn were always trying to eat her tongue (baby spider instinct)

I probably missed one. It's a bit hard to distinguish them considering how they all have the same graphic, and are all named Spider.

Avernum V was the first one in the series I've actually bought the full version for. I loved the atmosphere of it. Everybody sees you as an enemy or, at best, a tool. The villain sends his agents to ambush and kill you twice in the demo alone. You're not the heroic adventurers of past games, but soldiers behind enemy lines, trying to hunt down somebody holding every advantage he could want.

Also, the entire Howling Depths sequence was pure awesome.