Spellcraft vs. Magery

Fingolfin

Hi there,

could somebody enlighten me regarding the difference between spellcraft and magery? The descriptions sounds pretty similiar, and I now have the option to increase both on my character. But not knowing the difference doesn't really make this easier.

BTW, is there any reason to increase the mage/priest spell levels beyond 17 (which according to the manual is the level of the highest priest/mage spells).

It has been established that they are identical. The advantage of making Magery trainable is that it gives you a second channel: getting 10 each in Magery and Spellcraft is as good as getting 20 in Spellcraft, but costs a lot less skill points. The same goes for Sharpshooter and either kind of missile skill, or (I believe) Blademaster and Melee.

There's no reason to go past 17 in Spells, unless perhaps you've got all of Intelligence, Spellcraft, and Magery so high that it actually costs less skill points to raise Spells instead of any of them.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
It has been established that they are identical. The advantage of making Magery trainable is that it gives you a second channel: getting 10 each in Magery and Spellcraft is as good as getting 20 in Spellcraft, but costs a lot less skill points.
If the system is like geneforge, then this is not quite true. There is a diminishing return once 10 in a skill is reached, and again once 20 is reached. So it's a bit more accurate to say having 20 in spellcraft is like having 10 in spellcraft and 5 in magery.

This is just a quick note, and serves to highlight the bonus of going for magery even more.

Quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:
If the system is like geneforge, then this is not quite true. There is a diminishing return once 10 in a skill is reached, and again once 20 is reached. So it's a bit more accurate to say having 20 in spellcraft is like having 10 in spellcraft and 5 in magery.

This is just a quick note, and serves to highlight the bonus of going for magery even more.
I believe we tested this once and concluded that there were no diminishing returns (at least as far as their contributions to Unlock Doors strength went).