Spell scam?

KJMiller

Sometimes when seeking to learn spells, the "trainer" seems want to charge me for ones I already know. That is, the option exists to pay them to "learn" (rather than just improve) a spell that the character already knows and has been using. At first I paid them (thinking I must be getting something for my money), but later I became skeptical. Anyone else run into this? I can come back with specific examples if that would be helpful.

Related comment.. it would be great to have a counter (like for the other stats) that indicates how much knowledge each character has wrt the different spells. (One could see the effect of and keep track of improvements).

Quote:
Originally written by KJMiller:
Sometimes when seeking to learn spells, the "trainer" seems want to charge me for ones I already know. That is, the option exists to pay them to "learn" (rather than just improve) a spell that the character already knows and has been using. At first I paid them (thinking I must be getting something for my money), but later I became skeptical. Anyone else run into this? I can come back with specific examples if that would be helpful.
It's not so much the difference between learning and improving, its just that the trainers are able to improve the spell twice. That the first time is to learn it means nothing to them. The price is the same.

Quote:
Originally written by KJMiller:
Related comment.. it would be great to have a counter (like for the other stats) that indicates how much knowledge each character has wrt the different spells. (One could see the effect of and keep track of improvements).
Check Spells/Traits, which I believe is accessed through the stats window for an individual character.

Make sure you're always buying your spells for the right character. Teaching your fighter how to hurl death rays around isn't very useful and can be quite expensive.

—Alorael, who can tell you exactly what the effects of each spell level you gain is. Check the manual for each spell. It will say something about the effect of Bonus in the formula. Bonus is the sum of Magery, Spellcraft, levels in the spell cast, and either Mage or Priest Spells.

Some of the cheap spells are worth it, but the later ones invariably aren't. Buying the first level of a spell can be worth your money, though, depending on how long you'd have to go without the spell otherwise and how useful the spell is.

—Alorael, who wouldn't survive without lots and lots of Minor Healings and a few Bolts of Fire. The more bonus the merrier!