Forging

Oh, gotcha..."ingredients" for forging, like Fine Steel.

I always save my game and test what the crafters actually make, since it doesn't tell you exactly ahead of time (there's an annoying factor Jeff could have left out).

I generally have a couple pair of Blessed Boots made in Formello (you get/find at least one pair soon after in the E. Gallery), and a Blessed Shield or two W of Silvar. The Runed Helms made by the guy north of the Castle are great for magicians, and you'll really want to save up for the fantastic stuff made by the nephil leather-maker in Bargha late in the game.

Kill all stray reptiles, since they sometimes drop leather. Steal the gold, iron, and steel (?) bars in the chest out of sight in the Draco Mines.

I basically had just enough leather and focusing crystals to make the leather goods I wanted (the helms, gauntlets, etc.). Leather is more the limiter of what I could make than anything else. Steel probably the least so. Either way, don't overspend those resources by making one of something for everyone. Generally, you will soon be finding or winning something to replace basic blessed boots and shields anyway.

Oh, and some of the really cool later leather goods require mandrake and/or graymold (typically mandrake) to make, so have some excess rare herbs for those too. In fact, I save nearly all my mandrake and graymold for Knowledge Brews and Bargha leather goods near the end of the game. Any other potions, including Invulnerability potions, you can buy or find throughout the game.

Once you get to Blosk, if you complete a quest for the weaponsmith there (quite simple, kill a few lab rats in the back of her store), she'll offer to forge some custom items for you. Each item requires 3 fine steel, 2 focusing crystals, and a few beautiful crystals, I think. She'll build you a Radiant Plate (which requires 2 gold bars in addition to the above ingredients), a Radiant Shield (2 emeralds in addition to above), Radiant Vambraces, or a Blessed Halberd. All are great items, and the Radiant Plate is one of the best armors in the game (in my opinion, a toss-up between it and the Emerald Chestguard).