Troezen Trove final fight - help (lsome spoilers)

halleck

Hello all,Is ti just me, or is the final fight at the center of the trove an extremely difficult one? I'm with a party at level 30 (tank-me, Yoshiria and Yannick) and keep getting beaten. I try to follow the wisp around and attack the thinkermages in turns, but the wisp jumps every turn and between them, turrets and the central statues that keep popping, I just cant deal enough damage by turn.Anyone has suggestions for the fight?

Pay attention to the wisp location is the first thing because once you do enough damage to the tinkermage construct that currently has the wisp the fight ends. I've seen the wisp never move the entire time and that is the easiest fight.

Destroy healing pylons and nearby turrets with area effects. Wands help here if you don't want to stay in battle frenzy mode with speed burst scrolls. Try to include the constructs forming in the center before they go active.

Burn a few recovery potions so Yannick can do icy rain more often since that will take out a tinkermage construct, his turrets, and some constructs in the center. Earthshatter scarab is another useful thing if you are near the room's center.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Why do I bother telling people that? It's too late by the time they post here. :)

Pay attention to the wisp location is the first thing because once you do enough damage to the tinkermage construct that currently has the wisp the fight ends. I've seen the wisp never move the entire time and that is the easiest fight.

Destroy healing pylons and nearby turrets with area effects. Wands help here if you don't want to stay in battle frenzy mode with speed burst scrolls. Try to include the constructs forming in the center before they go active.

Burn a few recovery potions so Yannick can do icy rain more often since that will take out a tinkermage construct, his turrets, and some constructs in the center. Earthshatter scarab is another useful thing if you are near the room's center.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Why do I bother telling people that? It's too late by the time they post here. :)

Thanks for the help, I'll try your suggestions. BTW, I'm under the impression the wisp always moves when a thinkermage gets hit in a turn. I "forgot" about recovery potions all the way to this point and used none in the game to this point. The level cap does make things more challenging (I can't go take a stroll and beef up a little more before returning).

As for sanity, I played all Exiles and Avernums, and Nethergate (never got into the Geneforge saga), so there is not much left :) Being following the forums (all incarnations of them) for long years, just never bothered to register to the newer version.

I also found this to be one of the hardest fights in the game, second only to Vardegras. It took me around nine tries to beat, so I can say with near-perfect certainty that the wisp doesn't just move around on a fixed turn interval. I've seen it stick around for 3-4 turns in the same construct, but I've also seen it jump around three turns in a row. Taking any amount of damage is also definitely not the trigger. It's possible that the wisp moves around after several turns if left alone, but there are definitely other triggers. The two main ones I've noticed are: 1) if a construct takes a lot of damage; 2) if there are a large number of enemies (i.e. you) near a construct. I noticed the latter over the course of several battles camping near one of the constructs: the wisp tended not to stick around in the construct I was encamped around even when I was too busy healing and buffing to hit it, whereas it would often sit there and take it when receiving moderate damage from afar.

The strategy that ended up working for me involved sitting all of my characters down next to the center tinkermage construct. This allowed me to take relatively little in the way of damage and debuffs from the thirty-twelve turrets the blasted things summon, as I could kill those on my campsite quickly enough that they could attack once at most, and I was out of range of the others. I would then use ranged attacks on whichever tinkermage had the wisp in it (melee as well if it was the one at my campsite), and occasionally fire off an AoE or two to keep the constructs in the center from forming fully. It's a slow strategy, but it'll keep you from getting torn apart on torment.

I've finished the fight now. Thanks Randomizer!!! I just stood in the center of the chamber, put my character and Yoshiria with ranged weapons and Yannick full of recovery potions, all with battle frenzy, and just kept pommeling ranged attacks on the active thinkermage construct. I took a beating from the turrets, and occasionally one of my characters got pulled near a construct, but it's done. Now I can say it was a sort of funny, different from the rest, fights.

I found it easier without Yannick. The biggest help was realizing that the enemy tinkermages won't activate until all three of my characters are in the room; that meant that my tinkermage could run in by himself and set up his pylons (and my shaman could summon his drake) before the fight began.

My Yoshiria has a battle frenzy scarab and does a lot of damage with those razordisks, so I was able to rely on her (plus the occasional fire blast from the drake, and the pylons) to take down the unlucky tinkermage without needing many potions at all. (She spent most of her time in the south end of the room, until enemy constructs started rushing her and she had to teleport.)

In the second section of the quest, how do you get past the area with the crystals spawning enemies on either end of the hall. You are supposed to open a wheel in the middle of the room, but it says you can't open it until the spawning stops. But the spawning never seems to stop. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The one on the east side, but outside the final gate? The enemies do stop spawning after a few waves.