alternative keyboard layout support?

BehemothMargerine

I've checked around the website, and the games help file, also checked the options and the programs folder itself. I've also searched the forum. There is no apparent way to switch the keyboad layout for avernum 4 (or your other games, as far as I can tell). I have manually set the keyboard layout with the operating system, but Avernum 4 appears to ignore it and default to the QWERTY layout.

I use a DVORAK keyboard and the settings within the OS are set properly for that type of layout (double checked, and when all else failed, I googled it, still no luck) and it would appear like it should work, yet it does not.

I would be very thankful if someone knows of a way to make avernum 4 read the keyboard layout that the OS has, rather then continually default to QWERTY. Or with the next update/patch, have it implemented, if possible. If not, I'll have to suffer through it. haha

Ah but see, he could just do what most programs do. Let the operating system decide it. I'm sure it would be less work then programming in the keyboard layout manually. Then again, what he could do, is allow the user to redefine the key definitions. DosBox (a dos game emulator) does this, and although it's time consuming on the poor users part, it works. Although, I think I'm probably not getting how it's done, since I've never had to do it (that and my "coding" experience is almost zero. Hah).

I think he's just using whatever is default in his coding program, which is probably the QWERTY setting. It would take adding some extra code (although not a lot) to use the OS's keyboard.

And hey, he could support Unicode, so we could make BoA scenarios in Arabic or Chinese or Mycenaean Greek or something.

I am at the mercy of the DirectX (Windows) and the MacOS here. The calls the OSes provide to watch the keyboard for events, as far as I know, don't provide a lot of support for other keyboard layouts. I think the Mac has some calls that might do this for me, but they have other problems that make them unsuitable for use in games.

I could implement DVORAK keyboards within the game myself. It hasn't happened so far because ... because ... well, I've been lazy, I guess.

Can anyone point me to a good translation chart between QWERTY and DVORAK keyboards? If I had that, I might be able to implement it in Geneforge 4 and later games.

- Jeff Vogel

Thanks. And, I'm not sure, but MAC should support DVORAK keyboards. There are basically two main keyboard layouts that most everybody uses (well, QWERTY is the main one). QWERTY and DVORAK. I googled it for the mac OS and it would appear like it supports DVORAK as well, but since I don't have a mac, I'm not 100% positive.

Edit: If you want a side by side thing, go here: http://www.webopedia.com/FIG/DVORAK.gif

Jeff, if you do decide to add support for Dvorak keyboards, you might as well add support for European keyboard layouts like AZERTY and QWERTZ while you're at it (although you'll only need to add support for QWERTZ if you ever use Y or Z as a hotkey in any of your games). Judging by the composition of the forums, you have quite a few customers in Europe.

I've seen Mac OS 9 with Dvorak added to it, although I don't know how. OS X has Dvorak along with a bewildering assortment of layouts and alphabets I've never heard of.

—Alorael, who did take the opportunity to add Hebrew to his keyboard palette a while ago. It doesn't come in handy very often, but he still has high hopes.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
???

I take I'm going to have to hold off on having signs in Linear B in my BoA scenario set on ancient Crete? tongue
Couldn't these be implemented as graphics?
Wow. I like this idea. I like it enough that I might actually do it. I was just kidding before, but now I'm intrigued. Look at what you've done.

EDIT: Thuryl, that was so punny that it hurt.