3D BOA Editor (Windows)

I know I will be yelled at, told that I am *dumb*, but...

Is there anyone working on the Windows port of the 3D BOA Editor?

If so, what is the current status? i.e., are you looking over the source code, checking your tools to compile this monster, anything??

Thanks for reading my dumb rant --- James cool

I am looking into it. However, I DEFINITELY make no promises.

It'd be easier for me to write an editor from scratch, given JV's godawful code. It doesn't even compile on the version of CodeWarrior I managed to...uhh...procure.

So if I do it, I've got a laundry list of more important things first.

I doubt I'm going to even look at it for a few months at the least. I don't see a personal need for it, and I write tools that I will actually use. I can design just fine in 2D; a 3D editor is unnecessary for me.

AvScript and AvDialogue are more important tools than a 3D editor.

Quote:
Originally written by KernelKnowledge12:
Why not just get the maker of the Mac 3D Editor to port his own/Jeff's code using a free cross-platform class library?
Because Jeff's code, to be very frank, sucks. I've looked at the Mac 3D code, and I find it wholly unportable. Graphics are handled entirely differently and the mechanism for putting them on the screen is weird on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:
Possibly because I don't believe he has a PC available to test it on.
Hence the term, cross-platform library. If he uses one and it works on a Mac, it should work on any platform the library supports. He'd just have to get it to a PC to build the executable, which shouldn't be too hard considering the amount of programmers in this community.

Quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:
Arenax's current projects sound far more interesting to me as well, I haven't had much problem with the 2D editor, a 3D one is just a nice want rather then a need.
A need would be an editor (3D or not) with plugin capabilities for the various smaller programs people are working on.

Quote:
Originally written by Arenax:
Because Jeff's code, to be very frank, sucks. Graphics are handled entirely differently and the mechanism for putting them on the screen is weird on a Mac.
Of course it sucks. It's complicated and entirely too messy, but getting the gist of it isn't too hard, if you look at the right parts. Ignore the Mac graphic's code; it shouldn't matter. Look at how the program itself loads, and then the format of the scenario files.

The scenario-saving parts are extremely simple. Only the several simple classes (located I believe in global.h) in Jeff's code need to be copied and screwed with.

There is a scripting engine ( technically an engine) that loads the editor's global data (from the corescendata.txt files) that should not be copied. A quick lexer and parser should be created using the Script Checking program's grammar files, with FLEX++ and Bison++. The Bison++ input file should be tweaked to actually edit a ScenData object.

The graphical interface should use OpenGL, if it's meant to be fast. (An easier alternative, however, would be just to use a toolkit's graphical classes.) Using OpenGL would allow for shaders and therefore more flexible tinting code, but would take much longer to implement.

Quote:
Originally written by Khothie:
Actually, I think the parts of the editor dealing with the file format are the nastiest and most arcane parts, with the possible exception of the script parsing.
The saving and loading functions (for scenario files) are very simple, and its pretty easy to see how the files are stored:

Scenario Info Struct (Can't remember the real name)
Outdoor Sections
Towns (the size of each town differs based on the stored town size)

The editor's scripting functions are total and utter crap, but a more extensive one isn't neccessarily needed.

Quote:
Originally written by Khothie:
There is some weird magic for dealing with endian-ness that I don't want to touch with a bargepole, for a start.
I think you're talking about the flipShort function. All it does is switch the two bytes contained in the given short. The following function would probably be better, if somewhat slower:

template< class _Ty >
_Ty& flipData( _Ty& d)

I am aware of the basic order of how things are stored. But remember that "scenario info struct" is not a simple thing. It depends on things like how the data is padded, whether chars are signed, how things have been endianised and so on.

I would love to see an actual file format specification. Please make one, I would genuinely find it useful.

Quote:
Originally written by Dastal:
KernelKnowledge, if it's such an easy process, and you have already figured it out, you should have no problem quickly converting the Mac 3D BoA editor to Windows.
I never said it was easy. I screwed around with the original editor for a month over the summer and started working on a 3D editor using MFC/DirectX. (Before I started thinking cross-platform.) After a little I got an idea for a project that could potentially make me some money, so I dumped the editor.

Quote:
Originally written by KernelKnowledge12:
Quote:
Originally written by Dastal:
KernelKnowledge, if it's such an easy process, and you have already figured it out, you should have no problem quickly converting the Mac 3D BoA editor to Windows.
I never said it was easy. I screwed around with the original editor for a month over the summer and started working on a 3D editor using MFC/DirectX. (Before I started thinking cross-platform.) After a little I got an idea for a project that could potentially make me some money, so I dumped the editor.
You said it was "simple." "Simple" and "easy" are interchangeable.