Live Action Movie

telonis

Yeah, hard pressed to think of many...or even any, really, good movie adaptations of games.

I sorta liked Doom, but that had nothing to do with the games, and the first Tomb Raider and early Resident Evil films, but not played those games.

I'd not say books adaptations generally fail terribly, though.  Sure, they often do, but then they often don't, the Harry Potter and LotR/Hobbit films did pretty well.

The trick to adaptions is having the right balance of respecting the source while making a tv show/movie that is interesting to more than just the fans of the books/games.  Having a very large budget helps.  LOTR did a pretty goo job of balancing where to follow the books and where to diverge (so I was annoyed with the divergence, but not enough to hate it) while making the story accessible to the non-fans and of course it had a large budget.  The animated version of LOTR from the 70s didn't do so well.

I hated the resident evil movies, and to a even more extent the silent hill movies(although my mother liked it) just because it didn't seem as scary as the games, or as intelligent or atmospheric. I mean, No raccoon city? silent hill is just Centralia Virginia(that movie should have just been a stand alone movie without using the silent hill games at all.) with an interesting and creepy story. 

I have not seen the Max Payne movie but my brother said the first game was WAY better. Way to [censored] up a noir classic like Max Payne. But then again, most video game's would translate into a very long movie or series, and that's a lot of money to invest. Way more than some of these games cost to make, or grossed by a lot.

Hmmm... Perhaps independent stories in the universe, with small tie-ins from the big names would be better.

As for "movies ruin games\books": I don't agree. More often than not they do a good job. But as for geneforge? I don't see any big budget movie \ series happening and if we get those amateurish productions with Shaper Robes looking like bathrobes-with-a-die-over, over-the-top acting and cartoonish creations, I would be very sad.

Would still watch it. But I would be sad.