Exile Series Windows 10

xensaya

The Exile games definitely won't run on any 64-bit operating system. If you're one of the tiny percentage of people using 32-bit Windows 10... well, I still wouldn't count on it running. Your best option is probably to use a virtual machine, basically running an earlier version of Windows inside your main version.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this topic has been answered successfully, but i feel like i should throw in my 2 cents too.

If all else fails, or you feel uncomfortable using a VMWare-ish piece of software (most people tend to forget that that option will still require a valid windows serial key, which is quite hard to come by, for some versions), there is also the option to use a free version of Linux. Some (mostly ubuntu-based) distributions have an emulator built in, making it possible to run windows games over your linux operating system. Also, a big pro opposed to getting a legit windows version, it's usually free!

You can either install such a linux version as a virtual machine, as suggested above, or as a dual-boot (choose which operating system to load as the computer starts). Do keep in mind, however, that some newer computers (both laptops and desktop computers) have something called a UEFI system, which more or less replaces the "old" BIOS system, making it harder to create a dual-boot computer. It's not impossible, but experience has taught me that some of these systems require a user to access this UEFI mode every time he/she might want to change operating systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

64 bit versions of windows 10 had the files that allowed compatibility for 16 bit software removed.

To work around this, I installed Windows 3.11 inside DOSBox, then installed Exile 3 inside windows 3.11...

This is a faster way of being able to boot up and play exile 3.

(I've had problems with playing exile 3 on virtual machines)

I searched for a download of the Windows 3.11 3.5" floppy .img files online (there are several abandonware sites out there hosting them).

There should be 6 .img files for Windows 3.11 and you can use 7-zip or winrar to open them up do dump all the files in a single Win31 folder.

I used this install guide for Windows 3.11 in DOSBOX: vogons_Win3.x_install_guide_link