Exile Trilogy on Mac OS X - is it even possible?!

Lobita

Sooo long story short, I just bought the CD for Exiles 1-3 (again*). I was glad to see it was formatted for both PC and Mac, and I was hoping since it was a newer disc release, that it would work under OS X finally. Nope! OS 9 and below. So I got Wine to make this PC software able to run on my Intel Mac, but I still can't open the installers. Is there any way around this anyone's figured out? I'll be disappointed if I have to borrow my hubby's PC laptop every time I want to play. frown

*I say I bought it again, because technically this is the third time I've bought the trilogy! The first time was on floppy disc years ago, then on a CD with just the Mac OS 9 version... had to throw it away because my computer no longer supported Mac OS 9 stuff. So this is the third time buying. I don't really mind so much, as it's spread out over the span of about 15 years (cripes!) but just an interesting note. I would be sad if I couldn't play this version though! Please format a Mac OS X version one day, I know I'm not the only person who still loves these games!

Your best bet to play Exile under OS X (or to run any ancient Mac program) is to set up SheepShaver, a PowerPC emulator. It gives you a window that essentially behaves as an old Mac monitor. The setup requires jumping through a few hoops. Here's an article on the TidBITS site with info and quite a few handy links:

SheepShaver Brings Classic Mac OS to Snow Leopard

Two easier options:

• Buy an old Mac that will run OS 9 on eBay. It's cheaper than you'd think.
  • Play Avernum 1-3, which are updated remakes of Exile 1-3. I prefer Exile 3 to Avernum 3, but I'm too lazy to set up SheepShaver.

I got it to work on my Intel Mac laptop with Basilisk II (http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_osx_setup) about a week ago, actually. Similar story: I had the Exile Trilogy CD, then went off to college with my Intel Mac. I complained about this on Facebook at the time, and a friend recommended SheepShaver, but I found the whole thing too intimidating. Basilisk II turned out to be quite easy to set up – I was pleasantly surprised. It's System 7.something (I think SheepShaver is 9), but that's the system I originally played Exile on when I was a kid.