Pronunciation

Erika Maroonmark

Quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:
Oh. I would have pronounced the -ch as in the Scottish 'loch', or similar to the -ch sound in German.
That's what was confusing me– it depended on what the etymology was. If it were from Greek or something, then the ch would be pronounced /k/, for example… but now that I know it's from Anglo-Saxon, it makes perfect sense. ^_^

Yes, the etymology is the difference. "Loch" is a borrowing from a Celtic language in which the fricative (like the German CH) existed. "Lich" is from an Old English word "lic" — originally pronounced like "lick" — that was eventually palatalized to "lich."

For those of you who read IPA, the OED gives the pronunciation as "lɪtʃ."

I've only ever heard it pronounced like "liken".

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Yes, the etymology is the difference. "Loch" is a borrowing from a Celtic language in which the fricative (like the German CH) existed. "Lich" is from an Old English word "lic" — originally pronounced like "lick" — that was eventually palatalized to "lich."

Really? I always thought that "c" was pronounced "ch" in OE, at least in certain positions. At least in that one. (Unless you're talking about something older than OE, and it was palatalized in OE, in which case I wouldn't know. I don't know if I would know anyway. XD)

The "laiken" pronunciation of "lichen" is the only one of which the OED approves.

As far as how C was pronounced in Old English, there's something of an issue of which OE you're talking about. I was under the impression that most C palatalizations (before front vowels, for instance: cêse -> cheese) took place during the Old English period, because they show up in Middle English orthography but not in Old English orthography. I am not by any means an Anglo-Saxonist, however, so I don't know for certain. Wikipedia would have this info.

Maybe. Or maybe that trend in the orthography was a result of French influence.

Wikipedia says "Before a consonant letter the pronunciation is always /k/; word-finally after i it is always /(IPA symbol for "ch", which my computer doesn't like)/. Otherwise a knowledge of the historical linguistics of the word in question is needed to predict which pronunciation is needed."

No wonder I could never keep those rules straight. >>;

It helps if you can, you know, spell the words, because both of your pronunciations of "rakshasa" are horribly wrong. That is also a real word, borrowed into English from Sanskrit, and the correct pronunciation is RAHK-shah-sah (the A's are pronounced as in "father").

Chitrach, on the other hand, is not a real English word, but your pronunciations are still pretty blatantly wrong, because "chi" never says "si" in English. I've always pronounced it as naturally as I could: CHIT-ratch. Jeff may have had "chitin" in mind when he made up the word, though, and if so, it would be pronounced entirely differently. (It would sound like "kite-rack.")

Quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:
Quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:
Damn bastard language.
Lighten up and please get a sense of humour.
English has been called the bastard language for hundreds of years. It has been called that because it is the bastard child of just about all indo-european languages.

Quote:
English has been called the bastard language for hundreds of years. It has been called that because it is the bastard child of just about all indo-european languages.
What does that make American English then? The bastard's bastard child?

- Archmagus Micael

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:
Quote:
Damn bastard language.
Lighten up and please get a sense of humour.
Sorry, thought you were talking about me. As for Chitrach I usually say KIT-RACK