Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
BimmyLee BimmyLee

New Arrival

• Member ID: 6,418
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:25 AM #1 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

So I read up a little on why the Exile games have compatibility issues with Vista, and what I gathered was that it has to do with the games being 16-bit applications and the OS being 32-bit. Nonetheless, I got the games running via compatibility mode, but there seems to be one last hurdle...

I am currently playing Exile I, and quite often the game will crash (but only during combat, usually during spell casting of some sort), and a window will appear, stating that "NTVDM.exe is not responding." In the aforementioned reading-up, I learned that this is a program necessary for running older apps in Vista. So why is it being so fussy? Is there a way to get around it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:32 AM #2 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

There are a couple of options in the preferences to use if getting crashes. Have you tried those?
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

BimmyLee BimmyLee

New Arrival

• Member ID: 6,418
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:35 AM #3 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

Yep, tried it with no sounds and no targeting lines, and it made no difference, unfortunately.

The Mystic The Mystic

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,707
  • 3,242 posts
  • Locationon the run from the pun police

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:15 AM #4 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

Try searching for NTVDM.exe on your system.  If it's not there, you'll probably need to download it in a patch from microsoft.
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts.  And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

Alcohol and calculus don't mix.  Friends don't let friends drink and derive.

Like all internet petitions, it will do nothing. - Dantius

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:58 AM #5 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

If it's not responding, it obviously must exist for it to have been launched in the first place. rolleyes
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

King InuYasha King InuYasha

Mercenary

• Member ID: 5,370
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:32 AM #6 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

NTVDM.exe always exists on 32-bit Windows Vista. And, the program wouldn't even launch at all if it were missing. The problem is that NTVDM, with each successive release of Windows, has gotten more and more restricted for stability purposes. It is because of this that some installers don't even work on Windows Vista. 64-bit versions of Windows do not have NTVDM, so none of the Exile series will run on it.

Fireball Fodder Fireball Fodder

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,482
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:01 PM #7 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

Hi, I know this is an ancient topic, but I have exactly the same problem with Exile III on Win7 (32-bit). I've tried looking around the internet for a solution, but no dice. Has someone by any chance found a solution to this in the meantime?

Funny thing is, I don't seem to have the problem with Exile I, but only Exile III.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:50 PM #8 Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

To be honest, your best option is probably just to use a virtual machine like VMware or VirtualBox to run Exile under an older version of Windows rather than trying to run it under a modern version directly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users