script reading problems....help a neophyte?

I am not at all familiar with coding in any way, but i would like to be. So I decided to check out the scripts in the geneforge folder. I found out some interesting things, but I have a question. I see in most of the scripts a rectangular shape, often between words, and what's more, it can't be copied and pasted. Is it from a programming language? I don't think I actually have C++ or whatever Jeff uses (I think someone told me he wrote his own), so...

EDIT: well I feel like a fool. I figured it out when i tried to copy and paste some of the coding. it meant the return key was hit. *smacks own head*

EDIT: these scripts are fascinating, I'm learning a lot just "staring at the computer screen until my eyes bleed" (quote of Jeff)

EDIT: another reason I like Jeff is his sense of humor. Stuff done flag comes to mind. File from GF1: Groupnpc.

/groupnpc.txt - Like basicnpc.txt. Basically, it fidgets around and attacks anything

//it sees it hates. Also, if it becomes hostile, it sends an alert message to everyone

//in its group, if it is in a group.