Cheating into areas in A2

In A2, there are areas in outdoors, such as the Abyss, and the areas below Garzald's (I can't remember how to spell his name) fortress, that are completely blocked.

I heard that there is a way to "cheat" into those areas.

How exactly do you do that, if you can?

You have to edit the numbers that store your party's location to a location past the scripts that kill you instantly, and for that you'll need any of a number of third-party programs. It's not useful, though. There's nothing outside the boundaries of where you're supposed to explore.

—Alorael, who really thinks Avernum needs for BoE-style signs questioning how, exactly, you've reached the off-limits area into which you've dumped your party.

Save Games:

Outdoors location of the party is recorded at line 134, column 51 onwards. Firstly, places 51 and 52 contain the gross x,y coordinates. Then columns 53 and 54 contain 0 or 1? (My guess is that a 1 means: add 48 to the x or y coordinate.)

Next four squares contain things like “17,18,17,18” or “53,62,5,14”.

If hex-editing to explore the parts that are normally inaccessible, any outdoor wandering monsters or Avernum soldiers will be transported too.

A good water location in the off limits zone is: 0,1,1,0,64,18,16,18

In a boat near Fort Draco: 5,0,0,0,18,16,18,16

Line length here is fixed 70 bytes.

(There is nothing in these zones at all of course. They are purely there for appearance's sake.)

• 1 month later...