Gladwell

Slariton

So what's the deal with Gladwell?

I know the basic structure: geas gives +1 to primary stats, requires obtaining 5 items later which mostly make towns mad at you. I'm wondering:

1) From a munchkin perspective, does it really hurt to have those towns mad?

2) Is it possible to just wait till the late game to take the geas, teleport around to get the items and rewards, then kill Gladwell and remove the geas, all at once? I ask especially because Gladwell's quests all reward flat XP, rather than scaling it for your level, so you could get a massive amount of extra XP by waiting. Plus at that point it probably no longer matters if the towns get mad.

Having the towns mad at you only means something if you have unfinished quest that you want to do. It's actually nicer since you can use the self-defense excuse to kill and loot for a little extra. I've done Harkin's Landing and Ahonaria without missing much.

Some of the reward items are nice especially the second offensive magic reward of the magus vest.

You can avoid getting Muck and Thalants mad at you for doing those items. Melanchion is optional and late in the game. You can steal the item without a major fight by running, but the town is then hostile.

The only questionable ones are the Anama Scrolls and Radiant Prism since they can give you a nicer reward from Melanchion's Desire quest where they will give you +1 strength, dexterity, and intelligence.

On the whole it pays off if you are an amoral powergamer. I don't know if you can wait to the end and then pick and choose which ones to give him without facing the "curse."

1) No. Free XP from mad towns? More looting? You certainly don't need to go back to them. Although I did make the mistake of parking my boat within the walls of one of those cities the first time around which created obvious problems.

2) There might be some problems. Certain choices you make may prevent you from completing Gladwell's quests. With foreknowledge you can avoid that. But I don't know if the internal logic of the game is robust to a) mistakes along those lines or B) manipulation in the way you mention.

Quote:
Originally written by Prick Against the Kicks:
2) Is it possible to just wait till the late game to take the geas, teleport around to get the items and rewards, then kill Gladwell and remove the geas, all at once? I ask especially because Gladwell's quests all reward flat XP, rather than scaling it for your level, so you could get a massive amount of extra XP by waiting. Plus at that point it probably no longer matters if the towns get mad.
A first test of part of that approach. I freed Almenona and then took Gladwell's geas. I could leave the area and enter Tranquility. So at least his restraint on you if you don't do his bidding hasn't kicked in - although I haven't revisited the scene of the crime yet.

This suggests that it is at least robust to that particular 'mistake' and possible rorting. Although the reward for getting its skin is obviously lost.

It was Landsman, the head of the Avernum Survey Expedition, that give the advice. It's possible to kill Gladwell about levels 20-24. It depends upon what spells you have and how powerful your party is when you do it. You need some good area of effects spells to take out the shades that Gladwell summons and unshackle mind to deal with mind effecting spells.

If you are under the geas, then go into the reward area and destroy the undead in the east before going in the backdoor. There's no reason to make this harder than necessary.