New Harston Slime

Purry

Hi Folks

I have beaten the game once and now I am trying it with a single character.

Anyway, that aside I cannot get to the New Harston slime/I can't find it. I couldn't the first time and I can't now. When I go into the tunnel below the wooden post where the slime is supposed to hang out and where I 'see' it now and again I can see two passages blocked by the stone walls. I am assuming that is where the slime resides and I can see button like black things on the walls but i can't seem to use/press them or anything. Could someone give me suggestions/hints on how to complete this quest?

Thanks

IndyFan

Just north of you is a small stead. Talk to the guard (name begins with a T). Mention the slime to him and he will put a lizard at the wooden post.

Go it and wait. The slime will come. Then kill it. Talk to guy again to have him unlock the tunnels underneath. There you may fight the Unstable Mass.

edit:

The switches are a red herring... Grr.

Quote:
Originally written by Dahak:
There you may fight the Unstable Mass.
With one character, I don't know that it is a good idea to do so. It seems like it would be very frustrating since it divides whenever you damage it, with the new copy having the same HP as the old one when it begins its turn. With a single character, it is going to result in many high-hp unstable masses.

You can do the fight with a single character even in torment. I know from the 5 times I did it.

There is some things that you have to do. First use multiple buffs since when it hits you will start to lose them. Second is to retreat before damaging it so it follows to the east passageway where you can only be hit by no more than 2 places (front and back). This is also a great fight to use an augmentation potion in case you get hit twice in a round.

Cast a slow spell on the unstable slime unless you are playing with only priest spells (this is harder). Daze spells also help keep split unstable masses from attacking.

The unstable mass won't split if it doesn't get an action. Daze won't always work on it, but the idea is to reduce the number of splits you face rather than brute force fighting. Or you can engage it a long fight against lots of them.

Synergy and I have done it so we know there are several ways to win this fight.