magical damage

xerex

How do I reduce it?

Monsters that do magic damage (pit crawler, unstable mass, chitrach queen, etc) are a LOT harder for me than any other creature in the game because I seem to take uber amounts of damage from them. There is no %magic resistance in my list of resistance and I haven't found any items that specifically reduce "magical" damage type. So how do I reduce the damage I am recieving from these monsters?

Energy is considered magical damage. Prismatic shield (available in Tranquility) and arcane shield (Vahnatai Lands) are the quick way to reduce damage. Armor does some and there are items to reduce it specifically.

The trick is to have something else suck up the damage for you. Control foe to charm an attacking monster between you and the more damaging monster always works for me.

My fighter used to have both the minus-magical-damage ring and the minus-mind-control ring, because I wasn't sure which was more valuable. I kept the mind-control ring on him and figured I'd switch rings when I got to an energy-intense situation, though in retrospect I guess it should've been the other way around. After I finally did a direct comparison and discovered that, though their face-value reduction numbers are the same, the mind-control ring reduces mind control effects more than the other does the other. Then I decided it wasn't worth hanging onto the energy-damage ring so I just sold it.

Really, mind-control is far more annoying than energy damage, except with lightning shock (a nice new feature in Avernum 5, though I hope there's a spell, sometime in the future, that rids characters of it)... I mean, it really is annoying as hell when one of my characters runs away in terror (and out of range of my priestess so she can't cure him or her... unless it IS the priestess) or, worse, charms one of my characters.

On the other hand, those tricks only take a simple mind-clear spell to fix, whereas the lightning-shock is unfixable, damn it. Still, I prefer mind-control protection to energy-damage protection.