A5 Spells..what to improve..

Zummi

Daze is the solution when the party is being swarmed by monsters, when it is both outnumbered and surrounded.

Buffs like War Blessing and Haste are the way to go.

In tough fights, damage spells usually won't kill monsters in one hit, it may take several rounds to actually kill monsters.

Summoned monsters may distract attacks from PCs.

Usually, training in a spell once is enough, especially considering the dungeon boosts and magic-helping items (like, say, the Crystalline Aegis).

Spells I do tend to train in are mostly low-level spells (Firebolt, Icy Rain, Haste, Smite...) as well as mental spells (like Terror and Strong Daze). I personally don't find Control Foe to be nearly as useful as in A4.

When I am close to the end of the game, I might also spend some of my remaining money to improve powerful attack spells like Fireblast and Arcane Blow (although I think you need to be a Darkside Loyalist to buy training for Arcane Blow).

I would not ignore them entirely, the lower level ones are cheaper SP-wise and are often very useful even in the late game. The number of Energy Potions/Elixirs is limited given that you would rather use the ingredients for knowledge brews, so sometimes casting cheap in the mundane battles is a good idea.