Various battle mechanics questions

scottk

1. Area effect spells w/ battle disciplines

Is there a way to predict which enemy receives the effect? I'm bummed that they all don't.

2. Riposte

If I prepare a battle discipline but don't use it, will it be expended upon riposte? Does riposte use weapon effects like fire damage/poisoning/cursing?

3. Fatigue removal

I have fatigue removal items that sum to >100%. Why does fatigue remain after 1 turn? Is fatigue removal random?

1) I wasn't actually aware that any of them received the effect. If it's very important to hit a specific target with your battle discipline, don't make your first attack spell an area-effect. (Note that non-damaging spells like Slow and Terror can be used to deliver battle discipline effects -- putting a Stunning Blow on a Slow spell is a great way to keep your enemy out of battle for the next two rounds.)

2) No, Riposte doesn't count as an attack at all. The damage it does is independent of the weapon you're wielding, and battle discipline effects won't trigger on a riposte. On the bright side, enemies that do bad things to you when you hit them in melee won't trigger those effects on a riposte.

3) 30% fatigue removal doesn't mean that 30% of your fatigue is removed each round. It means a 30% chance of having an extra point of fatigue removed each round. So, on average, 100% fatigue removal means you'll recover from fatigue twice as fast. I've seen characters with very high fatigue removal lose as many as 4 points of fatigue in a round.

Using a battle discipline like well aimed blow with an area effect tends to go to the closest target or the center of the area effect. It's somewhat random.

Combining shieldbreaker with a nondamaging spell isn't bad since other attacks that follow will do more damage. For instance slow to reduce an opponent's attacks and weaken him.