General "loot" advice -- should I really keep around _all_ of this stuff?

Mav

Hey guys,

I'm currently finishing up the Solberg "chapter" of Avernum 5 and it's been a pretty fun ride so far, seeing how I can't put the game down as always. Anyway, I had a maybe-kinda-sorta "spoiler" question seeking a vague, nonspecific answer about retaining some of the more valuable/exotic items you come across.

Now I know stuff like fine steel, fine leather, focusing crystals and other "building block" materials should be hoarded instead of sold (gotta love my Blessed Broadsword, even though it seems like my lvl 17/7 Str/6 Melee/5 Blademaster Elite Warrior does far less damage with this kinda weapon than he did back in Avernum 1/2). But what about, say, the tens of Beautiful Crystals lying around? The 20 or so emeralds coughed up by the tough-as-nails but kinda-poor-EXP-for-level-16s Sentinels? Platinum rings? Blessed items? Fancy mid-level items like Pustulent Vambrances or the Lava-Fired Spear? Geneforge 3 taught me to hoard pretty much everything in sight since they might be "recipes" for mega-items later on. But y'know, I could get a few nice spells and skills with the cash value from all the stuff I've littered around Shanker's Tower. wink

General, not-too-spoilerish advice greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure that I won't be caught flat-footed in case I ever get a shot at an Emerald Chestguard-type item or better, but just thought I'd ask people who're farther along in the game. Cash really is king in Avernum 5, and I'd like to have as much of it as possible. That ridiculously expensive 1100 gold wisdom crystal in the shop window calls out to me...mmm...skill points... XD

Except for leather, steel, and focusing crystals, and of course alchemy stuff (like herbs and tinctures), you are safe selling the majority of the things you mention. Certainly, you can sell most of your gold bars, emeralds, rubies and crystals. The precious gems are only used in wand making, and wands require focusing crystals as well. If you really want a huge number of wands, hold off until the next chapter then decide what you want to keep for wands.

All of flawed crystals, beautiful crystals, and lovely crystals can be sold for money. You may wish to hold on to mined crystals, some people buy them for 20c a pop rather than the usual price.

Generally, there is so much cool artifact stuff that I wouldn't worry too much about things for making items except for leather (maybe), fine steel and focusing crystals.

Well, I'd personally hold on to a few things like eyestalks, demon's bile, and mandrake tincture. Once you get to Melanchion's Keep, you can get some Rods of Alacrity crafted, and those are pretty awesome. Similarly, the item-crafter there can make Blasted Vambraces (+2 Resistance, +1 Str), though I forget the ingredients. Hold on to a few pieces of fine steel and focusing crystals.

Let's not forget about Heartstriker, the Putrified Gauntlets, or the Talisman of Might. Too bad you only get two of the three because of the lack of a third eyestalk. But yeah, I'd suggest holding on to a bunch of fine leather, fine steel, and a few other things.

Consult the item list under either Muck or Melanchion's Keep for a list of ingredients:

Item List

I found it depends on the characters you're using. My win party was a human soldier who used swords, a slith priest with fair skill with polearms, a nephil rogue who used bows and a human sorcerer who had a few points in swords so she could stab things if she ran out of MP. I don't recall ever being able to craft bows or pole arms when you bring steel, leather or crystals to crafty people, and by the time I had passed into the Azure Gallery I had weapons better than Blessed for each of my characters.

• 2 months later...

Nothing seemed worth crafting for me until Muck.

Now I'm bummed I didn't hold on to a Gold Necklace.

Mmmm, but maybe It's time to get rid of these 2 dozen bottles of wine I've been hording. Ya'd think someone down in these dark lower corners would be thirsty.

Maybe I could find a birdbath to pour it into. Liquid daze for the next adventure party who wanders thru.