Machinery Repairs

macdude22

I'm attempting to complete the quest Machinery Repairs. I have the crystals from Solberg and the old bat tells me to go upstairs to install the crystals but when I go up there a magic barrier seems to be intact in the direction I need to go. I haven't used the character editor so I don't think anything should be broken. I'm wondering if maybe I'm looking in the wrong location for the machine? Thanks in advance.

*smack* I have both. Through and crystals installed. Thanks for the help! Sometimes we overlook the damned simplest things. In my defense we are working migs of overtime at work and rather than rest up on my few off hours I spend my time playing Spiderweb games and Mass Effect so my brain is probably crying. smile But man A5 is so damn great, I just want to explore every nook and cranny and talk to everyone, I think Vogel took a double shot of pure inspiration when he scripted up the story for this one.

By the way... I'm probably being dumb, but I just passed away the morning moving boxes of old stuff in the garage, so my brain likely shrunk while the muscles worked. However... When I insert the first crystal in the machine, four indestructible shades appear and they mince my helpless characters. I hoped that Prismatic Shield might help, but it's useless. I tried moving the characters around in order to avoid the shades, to no avail: they teleport and I'm too slow. I'm stuck and frustrated. A hint would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally written by Luca Accomazzi:
By the way... I'm probably being dumb, but I just passed away the morning moving boxes of old stuff in the garage, so my brain likely shrunk while the muscles worked. However... When I insert the first crystal in the machine, four indestructible shades appear and they mince my helpless characters. I hoped that Prismatic Shield might help, but it's useless. I tried moving the characters around in order to avoid the shades, to no avail: they teleport and I'm too slow. I'm stuck and frustrated. A hint would be much appreciated.
The shades aren't completely indestructible: while you wait for the machine to cool down, you can try to take a bit of heat off yourself by killing one or two with Repel Spirit. Failing that, try to stay near the less deadly ones. Avoid the Radiant Shade at all costs; getting hit with a lightning aura is bad news.

You can do the quest a bit earlier even in torment. Buff the party before inserting the first crystal. Move to the area with the fewest shades and start concentrating fire on one of them. Bolt of fire, repel spirit, lightning spray if you can hit several, fiery wand, and disruption wand will do real damage. Also use shieldbreaker even if your fighter character can't do any damage with a missle attack.

You can eliminate all of them if you really want to do it. But it's meant for you to avoid them as much as you can and just try the machine every 3 or 4 rounds to insert another crystal.