Tame Rat suggestion

Okay, we all know the tame rat is one of the most important sources of trauma in the whole game. Either it dies against the boss (he is too awesome to lose against underlings), either you go away and he watches you climb down the stair, tears leaking in his "beady eyes", sitting here, waiting for your return, starving, or even worse, you can shoo him away, "breaking his little rodent heart".

No!

Tame Rat should become a recruitable Npc! With evolution, skills, and his incredible model dripping with sheer awesomeness! Think of it: a cute rat following you everywhere... (and if he got more lines it would be... *faints*)

Comments? Anyone wanna start a petition?

I always saw the Tame Rat as a valuable thing in my fight against Lysaak. He never really died, but I did have to take turns to heal him occasionally.

I don't know, having NPCs is something that has been tried in other games. It could work, but you need to be careful with the balance issues. I'm not sure how having a rat would add though.

I rilly don't think so. Eventually the rat has to either die pitifully, or become such an unbelievably über rat that it can take out major endgame bosses. Neither makes sense or is cool.

Geneforge 3 brought a pair of NPCs that could accompany you together through most of the game; one would always leave you before the last stages, but the other could stay to the end. Geneforge 4 has two different NPCs who can accompany you for a while at different points. Hauling along the NPCs, keeping them alive in combat and allied in dialog, is an interesting part of both games. The main moral, though, is that melee NPCs are usually more trouble than they're worth, while NPCs with strong ranged attacks can be protected easily enough to be useful allies.

As a pure melee NPC, the tame rat would not be a good longterm game element.

"As a pure melee NPC, the tame rat would not be a good longterm game element."

What about a crafter npc that would in exchange of two rubies, a focusing crystal, a rat and 500 gold give you an eyebeam rat of doom?

Come on.... =§ Players love crafting, and probably love rats, so let's combine!