Parry & Riposte

JadeWolf

Parry seems to reduce the damage you take from any kind of physical attack. I'm not sure exactly how it works, although I suspect it's a percentage chance of reducing damage by half or something, with the chance depending on the number of ranks of the skill you have. It does seem to cause a significant reduction in damage, and the requirements to train in it aren't too difficult to meet, so usually I get a few ranks at high levels.

Riposte gives a chance (about 3% per rank of the skill) to get a free counterattack and inflict damage on a monster that hits you at melee range with a weapon. It has no effect against missile attacks, or against monsters using natural weapons (claws, etc). The damage isn't great, either; I'm not sure how it's determined, but it's usually much less than a normal attack. Overall, it's not really a very good skill.

In my experience, the way to make a fighter is to keep your Endurance high enough to survive a full round of attacks from whatever you're fighting, and pump the rest of your skill points into your chosen weapon skill and Blademaster (after you've met the requirements for Blademaster, of course; it's probably best to try for Blademaster around level 35). Other skills like Assassination can be helpful too, but basically, a fighter's job is to take hits without dying; dealing damage is secondary to that.