Need a translation

Niemand

It comes from "ballista" — a perfectly normal Latin word (of Greek origin, from the verb "to throw") — and the suffix -icus, which is a normal Latin suffix for forming words that mean "related to [x]." Presumably that -icus suffix is more or less equivalent to the English -ic suffix.

I mean, the word would mean, "relating to ballistas," which is not quite as general as "ballistic" in English, which is why the first translation is preferable.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
It comes from "ballista" — a perfectly normal Latin word (of Greek origin, from the verb "to throw") — and the suffix -icus, which is a normal Latin suffix for forming words that mean "related to [x]." Presumably that -icus suffix is more or less equivalent to the English -ic suffix.

I mean, the word would mean, "relating to ballistas," which is not quite as general as "ballistic" in English, which is why the first translation is preferable.
Oh yeah... I forgot about the ballista. All I could think of was modern ballistics. I even checked Wikipedia to make sure I hadn't missed something. mad

Anyway, shouldn't it be ballisticus?