Avernum 1: A little help?

As far as I remember, you push the buttons,(spin the wheels?) in the order that you find them. The way I did it was just going around trying to walk through walls constantly. Pushing one button opens up the path to the second, the second to the third, the third to the fourth, and so on...

The first I believe was to the right(west) of the gatehouse (entrance) to the final area, one was in the far northwest wall, one in the northeast wall, and I believe there was one in the southeast wall. More then that I can't tell you.

The series of wheels is as follows

Enter the cave

Go through the cave and to the northwest is a cave with a wheel.....turn it

Go back down to the guard entrance and enter the eastern one.....in a hidden room along the eastern wall is the wheel.....turn it

Go through the cave to the northeast is a cave with lava, beyond the lava is a wheel.....turn it

Go back close to the entrance near the guard house in the center of that cave there's wheel.....turn it

The way at the north wall is now open, you can escape if you'd like, but if not there's a portal that'll take you back to the very beginning of that dungeon.

I hope that this information helps you. Have a great day. cool