Is heavily investing in a shaping skill worth it?

I have a little question regarding how to build shapers, keep in mind that I'm currently playing on normal so I'm not really looking for the best build available I'm only trying to not completely sabotage my playthrough

I've noticed that my creatures gain levels of their own so granted that I can keep them alive throughout the entire game is there any reason to heavily invest in a single shaping skill instead of putting just enough into all three skills and then go full healing to keep them alive as much as possible?

You need a combination of a shaping skill and intelligence for essence to make several creations. Having more powerful creations means they do more damage and have more health so they won't be as likely to go rogue when hit. Having several gives you a better chance of your shaper not being targeted. I still remember in Geneforge 4 having only two creations and standing behind a wall as far from the fighting as I could with the enemy creations still chasing me down.

Now in each original series game, some classes are better than others since Jeff changed them in response to what players were doing to exploit the system. For instance battle creations became more powerful in Geneforge 5 since they weren't getting downgraded as much in each game. Geneforge 3 had magic creation and vlish being powerful.

Someone else who liked using creations can give more detailed advice and it changes with each game.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Don't forget to attach a label to the handy container. : )

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for your answer Randomizer, although I think you might have misunderstood my question, I was not asking whether having many creations is worth it. I was asking if putting lots of skill points into a single shaping skill worth it since creatures level-up on their own anyway? My initial plan was to put just enough points into each skill so I can shape every type of creature and rely on them gaining levels of their own

Edited by Rune Litch

Having the extra shaping levels means the base creation is more powerful than the minimum needed to make it. Those extra levels mean it will do more damage, be likelier to go first, and have more base health. So they start like a creation that has been played for a while and gone up.

Also in some games, so save and test, making a new creation as your shaping level is increased will be more powerful than one that has gone up as you gain levels.

2 hours ago, Rune Litch said:

Thank you very much for your answer Randomizer, although I think you might have misunderstood my question, I was not asking whether having many creations is worth it. I was asking if putting lots of skill points into a single shaping skill worth it since creatures level-up on their own anyway? My initial plan was to put just enough points into each skill so I can shape every type of creature and rely on them gaining levels of their own

It depends on the exact game, but it is optimal to put a bunch of points in initially to boost their starting level, and then later rely on them gaining levels on their own.

Importantly, creation XP scales according to the player's level, NOT the creation's level.  So if you boost a shaping skill by +10 before shaping, your creation will permanently be 10 levels higher than it would be otherwise.  And a creation that starts 10 levels lower will never actually catch up.  This makes a pretty huge difference.

Posted (edited)

I see, thanks for clearing that up, so spreading points for better creature variety is not really a good idea? a better strategy would be getting a single shaping skill high up, fill up my party and from then on focus just on intelligence and magic skills?

Edited by Rune Litch

100%, you got it.  Except you can generally stop caring about your own Intelligence once your party is full.  And you can get a few extra levels on your creations by leaving out the 2 points of Intelligence (at first), too.

In G2, G3, and G4, Magic Shaping is the way to go (for Vlish in the first two, and Wingbolts in the latter).  In G5, there are more options.

And in G1, levels creations gain from experience are only half as good as levels they gain when they are created, odd as that sounds, so freshly-shaped, disposable creations are the order of the day - but once again you want to invest in a single shaping type.  Fire and Magic are both good there.

21 hours ago, Mea Tulpa said:

It depends on the exact game, but it is optimal to put a bunch of points in initially to boost their starting level, and then later rely on them gaining levels on their own.

Importantly, creation XP scales according to the player's level, NOT the creation's level.  So if you boost a shaping skill by +10 before shaping, your creation will permanently be 10 levels higher than it would be otherwise.  And a creation that starts 10 levels lower will never actually catch up.  This makes a pretty huge difference.

Understand, many thanks! this has been helpful!